What's new

Rear ARB Bushes and Drop Links

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
There is some slight play in my rear ARB bushes, I can push and pull the bar when the car is jacked up so I'm sure this is causing my knocking noise.

I've seen genuine Honda bushes for £15 on ebay so will order those but I have a couple of questions for those who have changed them.

Will the bolts snap, should I get new ones just in case?

Do I need to undo the drop links to change them? They feel solid but are very rusty. I think undoing them will cause damage or they'll have to be cut off.

I have Meyle links on the front, which I'm very happy with and the rears are £35 so will get those if they need to be removed.

Thanks mate, I had searched but didn't see that post as the guide is for the fronts.

How you finding the Meyle links? My front ones have been fine.

I usually knock the link off the ball joint when changing mine and grip it with mole grips, then undo or cut the nut off.

I ***ume leaving the links connected makes it more difficult to do the bush bracket bolts back up being under tension.

The Meyle links never budged, and were on the car when I sold it. I imagine you might get the bush off with the link still attached, but you'd be fighting against the weight of the hub, springs etc ***emby to get it back in place. Perhaps if you had a jack under the hub to help control it you might win?

The bushes are were less than 6quid each from hh when I brought mine.

For £30 I might as well change the links now. I sent HH an email but had no reply yet, I'll have to phone them when I get a minute.

I won't get genuine links but the Meyle ones, they're £30. The bushes are around the same price if you get genuine or pattern ones so might as well get the former.

I fitted my drop links and ARB bushes yesterday.

Apart from the usual of having to cut the links off it went well.

I've not taken it for a drive yet but hopefully it's cured the knocking, it's rock solid now and no more movement in the bar.

post-438-0-75502100-1444984867.jpg

post-438-0-82035800-1444984866.jpg

post-438-0-82480200-1444984868.jpg

post-438-0-02876400-1444984870.jpg

I did the usual first of knocking the link off and using mole grips on the ball part and undoing the nut. When it wouldn't turn anymore I cut through using a hacksaw. I did think about getting the dremel out but with the flexi hose and ABS sensor cable close by I didn't want to risk chopping into those!

The last nut I had to cut downwards through it and the bolt to release the tension. Then the nut came undone very easily with a socket. I might do that in future instead of cutting across, it was actually easier and quicker.

I've been for a drive now and the rear is more solid and the knocking has gone. The links were £28 on ebay and bushes just over £12 from HH, so money well spent :)

Done my drop links the other day.

I had to break off the drop link to see the ball part, then mole grip the ball part and impact gun the nut off. Where I couldn't get the tool in, I busted out the angle grinder :D