What's new

Rear bearing noisy

Salim

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I've been hearing a rumble sound from the rear recently, put them down to tyres but when I went to change the rear pads I spun the nsr hub and it sounds like bearings shot. Sounds like I need a new bearing but as I understand it I'll need a complete hub? Got a good price on a blueprint part but do I need anything else, abs sensors ...etc when replacing?

Thanks

Sal

Sorry to hear that Sal i would say all you need is the complete Hub but im not 100%.
This is quite unusual as these don't tend to go very often are you 100% its the bearing.

Actually i'm not 100% sure but ruled out the obvious such as tyres, binding brakes stripped and cleaned the calipers while replacing pads. It goes away almost on swooping left hand bends, I'm almost certain its bearing, I did hit the other side hard last time it snowed, I almost got stuck bad up a hill in the lanes around chew magna at about 2am got frustrated, lost it down a hill with no brakes and to avoid the parked cars met with the kerb lols but thats the other side which is ok :rolleyes:

I pop into the garage and get it checked out on tuesday, I remember Al saying he had a rear bearing so was abit confused about it being a whole unit.

Actually i'm not 100% sure but ruled out the obvious such as tyres, binding brakes stripped and cleaned the calipers while replacing pads. It goes away almost on swooping left hand bends, I'm almost certain its bearing, I did hit the other side hard last time it snowed, I almost got stuck bad up a hill in the lanes around chew magna at about 2am got frustrated, lost it down a hill with no brakes and to avoid the parked cars met with the kerb lols but thats the other side which is ok :rolleyes:

I pop into the garage and get it checked out on tuesday, I remember Al saying he had a rear bearing so was abit confused about it being a whole unit.
That is the downfall Sal if it is a bearing you do need the hole hub as there is no breakdown like older cars :(
It would be nice to think there might be a after market fix but im not sure bud

Sal if lateral movement of the suspension makes it better/worse then I'd think it's probably the bearing too as its moving inside. Yep it's a complete sealed hub you'll need - I've never done one myself so not sure if the abs sensor needs to come out.. If it does, you might get away with taking apart and getting the sensor out from the inside (pushing it out)..

Thanks for the info guys, Is changing a hub a easy job you reckon or leave it to a grease monkey? never done one myself so always looking to learn something new :)

To be honest I don't think its beyong your capabilities Sal - you've taken on bigger jobs than me and I'd give a hub a go ;)

DIY it is then, seeing its a sealed unit should be easy enough not messing with grease/pressing the bearing in.

Keep an eye out next week for a thread ***led HELP :lol:

Awesome, and take plenty of pics ;)

Hi, I've been looking myself - don't know if this is helpful?
It isn't the tourer, so no good for me, but if you have the saloon?
Anyhow, just trying to return all the help I've had lately.
Andy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-ACCORD-2003-2008-REAR-NEW-WHEEL-HUB-BEARING-KIT-/300341465223?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45edbf1087

hello
I changed both rear hub ***emblies on my prelude yesterday and wasn't as hard as I thought. Same problem with humming bearings. In a nutshell you have to take the discs, calipers and caliper carrier off. I used an impact gun to take the hub bolt off but can be done with a breaker bar. Didn't take too long either. Preludes are the same in the sense that the whole hub ***embly is needed.

Hope that helps

There you go then... perfect!!

Good help for Sal there guys im looking forward to the DIY.

DIY posted here

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4614-diy-hub-bearing-***embly/page__pid__55049#entry55049