What's new

Rear Brake Disc Issue, a cautionary tale

Carter

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Ex Tourer
I dont know if this has been reported before, but it might be of use to someone. I've just replaced the rear discs on my 03 tourer. I had the brake shoe adjuster wound right in, new disc on, retaining screws in, disc was locked solid. Double checked shoes were located properly, moving freely etc. reassemble, same problem, locked solid. Oh well, maybe someone had over adjusted the handbrake cable at the lever. Centre console out, adjuster on the handbrake cable was fine, backed it right off just in case, disc still locked.

Started to take the retaining screws on the disc out again and it moved. Turns out the last couple of mm tightening on the retaining screws was jaming the disc up against the back plate/shield. There's a protruding lip on it that sits in a groove on the back of the disc, mine were pretty corroded/out of shape, so 10 mins with a Birmingham screwdriver and it was free (ish). Same issue on the other side. The backplates/shields are both very corroded, to the extent they are coming apart, but Honda want £80 plus each, and it looks like you've got to take the hub off to replace them. Anyway, if it appears you have mystery locking/tight rear discs, rubbing noises etc. it might not be handbrake shoes rubbing, caliper seizing or failing flexi hoses or any of the other usual suspects but the backplates.

Thanks for the heads up fella.
This might have been a case of a different screw has been used as there very easy to round off.

Top TA Tip there Ian - cheers!

Thanks for the heads up fella.
This might have been a case of a different screw has been used as there very easy to round off.

New Honda retaining screws so I hope not! Checked it again tonight and all good. Still surprised that it could jam it up against the backplate so firmly, but Iesson learnt.