What's new

Rear Brake Issue

jimbo

Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2005
Hi, first post, I've read through a lot of previous threads on the rear brakes but can't find one that quite deals with this.
Had wear noise from the rear offside brakes, got them and discs changed, both rear calipers have been changed over the last few years already.
Guy doing it has done it all back up and found both rear wheels are now binding, worse on the offside than the nearside (they were ok before) he's tried a new caliper on the offside and that's not fixed it.
Next step will be to change the hoses I guess but does anyone have experience of this issue please and any ideas of what's causing it?
Car is a 55 plate tourer.

Should have mentioned in the original post, had those changed at the same time as they were worn so don't think it's that.

Last edited:
he's tried a new caliper on the offside and that's not fixed it.

Just asking, When the new calipers were installed, did they re-use the old pins? A "new" caliper often means the cylinder and housing side only. The pad retainer pins wear to a flat area and stop the pads from returning properly. It helps to lube them as well.

If that is not it, check the integrity of the dust cap to the piston. Binding is often corrosion inside the piston that only becomes a problem when new pads change the position of the piston seal. Look for the thread I posted in when I had the binding problem.

Thanks, I'll try and have a look at those.
I've had someone else check the calipers and he's going to order a hose and we'll try that.
Both mechanics seem happy with the calipers.
I'm going to try and borrow a jack and get the wheel off myself so I can check the pads are correct (got axel stands but my jack won't lift the car high enough to get them under).
Hopefully it's not the ABS unit, car is old but only has 116k miles on it and I like the car.

My 2005 tourer makes a grinding sound from the rear when first applying the brakes, ive fitted new disc, new pads, 2 new calipers, new wheel bearings, parking brake shoes taken apart and reassembled, removed the rear dust shields, nope, still does it lol.
it only does it when i first apply the brakes after the car has sat for a day or so, it sits in the garage for most of its life and gets used on the occasional Saturday or long road trip.
i have no idea whats causing it, but it doesn't bind up. weird one

I would have changed the hoses first. Cheaper! Yes I had binding issues caused by hoses.

The pads and discs needed changed anyway, and it's only been binding since they were installed.
Well, noticeably binding that is.

A bad hose can certainly cause brake binding, as can badly lubricated parts.
What about the parking brake cables? Check them for rusting and binding. It could also be a too tight of a parking brake adjustment.