What's new

Rear brake pads worn quickly, could they be stuck?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey lads,

A couple of days ago I noticed a squeak or a low pitched squeal from my brakes, it was just the once so I put it down to water on the discs, but today I went out and noticed the pads have worn down. Now to me they seemed to have worn quickly, but then again maybe not as the Honda service report from 100k miles said they were at 60%, I'm now on 126k so maybe that's about normal wear.

But I'll have to replace them either way, is it possible they are stuck? If so what should I be doing when I get to the caliper and have the pads out? Grease etc.?

Also what pads would ye recommend? I've used Mintex before and found them quiet good, those EBC Greenstuff pads haven't had the best of reports on here or should I go for Brembo pads?

It seems normal to me... I think rear pads should last about 40k miles, so if you had 60% at 100k and you did 26k so for me it's a normal wear.

If the pads are stuck it usualy by a rust. When you change your pads you have to make sure that you clean the parts of caliper where pads are moving. you can also use a little grease but just a little.

You can buy an original Honda pads in HH for £34.09 with free delivery. I am personaly using EBC and i am quite happy with them.

That's normal in fact very good mileage I think.

It's probably normal wear, I just got the feeling there was more depth on them the last time I checked! :huh:
It will be worth giving the callipers and sliders a dam good clean with a wire brush when changing the pads.
If you dont you run a good chance of problems with the sliders sticking.

I avoid using any grease near the pads or calipers and I understand that Copperslip / copper grease degrades rubber so should be especially avoided.

If the brake parts are all working properly you shouldn't need any grease anyway.

I've seen two or three threads in the DIY section showing how to do it.

Note that Saloon and Tourer are different btw.

I avoid using any grease near the pads or calipers and I understand that Copperslip / copper grease degrades rubber so should be especially avoided.

If the brake parts are all working properly you shouldn't need any grease anyway.
Completely agree with Jim about ensuring that you avoid grease coming into contact with the rubber boot on the caliper piston. This would cause it to swell and deform.

But I always do put a very thin smear of copper grease on the metal-to-metal contact points for lubrication and to keep corrosion at bay - this will help the moving brake parts to keep on working properly! Also, a thin coating of copper grease between the rear of the pad and the shim can help to prevent squealing.

I would also suggest filing/grinding the metal edges at the widest point of the pad to remove paint and casting marks which can make the pad an excessively tight fit in their guides. Check for fit before doing this and don't remove any more paint/metal than absolutely necessary, or they'll clunk under braking.

EDIT: agree with those who say you seem to have done OK with regard to mileage. And I usually fit Pagid pads (and discs, when necessay).

this is why I said 'a little just a little' .... i didn't mean to grease the rubbers or pads ;P

Jon you explained it much better then me... sorry english is not my fist language :)

Guys Honda are now using the Molly grease as copper grease reacts with the metal shins.
I can't think of the correct grade but it is supplied with OEM pads.

this is why I said 'a little just a little' .... i didn't mean to grease the rubbers or pads ;P

Jon you explained it much better then me... sorry english is not my fist language :)
...until you mentioned it, I hadn't realised that English wasn't your first language!

Jon, it is because I am using just simple words :)

Brett, you can buy moly grease in halfords, opieoils or ebay. I have some from my friend who works in a factory and they are using it for their machinery...

moly grease

I've learnt not to use too much grease when I was 10 or 11 and had my first bicycle. I wanted to sort out a squeaking wheel and used too much grease which dripped onto the rim and braking pads resulting with no breaking power at all. However, the pads would not wear too quickly ;)