What's new

Rear brakes binding

tunstall

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
I own an Accord Tourer 2.0 (2005) and after a short trip yesterday (12 miles) I stepped out of the car and the aroma of hot brake pads hit my nostrils. On checking the rear discs (very hot) and having jacked up the car, the pads are binding on the discs. This is a problem that I had when I owned a Civic Aerodeck and I guess it's a common Honda problem?
Is it likely to be a handbrake problem or something else?

Any information / tips etc please.

Thanks.

The Tourer has a drum handbrake, with outer disc as the main brake. This is called DIH (Drum In Hat).

It's unlikely to be the handbrake as it's only a parking brake (no good for handbrake turns) so the shoes wear down quickly if the adjustment is out.

The culprit is usually sticking pads or a seized caliper.

Yes, in a word, the rear calipers particularly offside, sticks. I strip and clean mine at least once a year and fresh brake fluid helps

Could be the caliper pistons sticking? Unbolt the caliper from the bracket and see how readily you can push in the piston all the way. If it's really tough to push back in then you may be able to free it off by pumping it in and out a few times, maybe even lifting the rubber boot to put in some red rubber grease or silicone grease to help free it off. Any sign of leakage under that boot does mean a replacement should be sought (I use Bigg Red to refurbish calipers).

Could be the pads sticking? While the caliper is off check that they are free to move... it's not unusual for the pads to jam because they are too tight. I usually file/grind the edges of the protruding 'ears' to give a little clearance.

Could be the sliders sticking? Do check that they move in/out without sticking while the caliper is off.

Could be the handbrake binding, however unlikely? While the caliper and pads are off, release the handbrake to check the disc spins OK.

When reassembling do use appropriate grease (not mineral grease or copper grease) on all contact points, ideally ceramic grease (but silicone grease will do). I use this one... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-SGPG70-Temperature-Ceramic-Protector/dp/B007D3H5G4

Jon g I think you covered in great detail

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk