What's new

Rear bumpers

John M.

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen. 1.8iS
Hi, guys. I've been offered a perfect rear bumper which is the correct colour and it's a very cheap, but the seller is unsure what year and what specific model it came off. Anybody know if all 6th Gen rear bumpers are interchangeable. Cheers J.

I'm not 100% but I think the hatch and saloon are, the coupe is defiantly not. How much is the bumper?

Hi John, What year is yours? the pre-facelift and post facelift are completely different bumpers. so it will have to be which ever yours is.

Andy

Andy, mines a '00, pre facelift. I presume when you say completely different, it's just styling but both types are interchangeable ?

J.

Below is the back end of my car, it's post facelift. The lower lip is curved and there's no trim along the centre compared to the prefacelift as far as I can see from my browsing eBay. As for whether they're interchangeable, I asked this question a little while ago - nobody has tried this as far as I'm aware however the ***umption is no. I'd like it to be yes though as I've seen some nice body kits for the prefacelift, the post facelift doesn't seem to have any :(

AB466051-64A3-40F7-A2BF-19CD33F9A12C-2442-00000655F977EF82_zps2ee72aaf.jpg

Thanks for your comment Josh. If I was a betting man I reckon at a minimum pre & post face lift bumpers are interchangeable, as I find it difficult to understand why Honda would have redesigned the rear panels just to fit restyled bumpers, especially on the saloons.

Now, I've just looked up the bumper part numbers for a post face lift saloon & hatchback and they are the same it seems. So that's something and it leads me to believe that pre facelift are interchangeable with post models, unless as I already mentioned, the rear panel is different on pre & post which would seem very odd imo. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I work in the automotive plastics industry - when this type of facelift is carried out, the dimensional parameters are almost always the same, simply the appearence that is adjusted.

This will also apply to interior plastics.

Well, after a bit of investigation by the seller the bumper has come from a 2002 car. I've ordered & paid for it so fingers crossed it fits my 2000 reg car.

Edit: It just crossed my mind the rear exhaust boxes might be different, they're different part numbers. I hope now my car's b/box doesn't foul the later bumper!