What's new

Rear Caliper

Gaz172

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Manual
I need a new rear caliper as it has seized, my mechanic says he will fit it for me for £40 (I dont wanna touch brakes) Is this about right?

also where is best place to buy them, Ive seen a refurb one on ebay for 64 + p&p.

I need a new rear caliper as it has seized, my mechanic says he will fit it for me for £40 (I dont wanna touch brakes) Is this about right?

also where is best place to buy them, Ive seen a refurb one on ebay for 64 + p&p.

Hi Gaz - I just had a rear caliper replaced on my 05 Tourer at my local independent garage. Their attempt at freeing it up only lasted about a week so they fitted a recon one for me for £100 cash so the prices you suggest look about right. The garage supplied the caliper so probably not from ebay! Cheers ..... Jayne.

Most refurb calipers you can buy involve you sending the old caliper back to them afterwards.

Tourer or Saloon? If Tourer you might want to change the brake flexi at the same time.

I haven't ordered them yet Vinnie. Would like the HEL's but to be honest with my Grandad Style driving that I seem to have adopted can;t see the point in uprated brake lines.

Drop Chris hondavtecr a pm as he's breaking a Honda accord.

ADVICE WARNING!!!! change the flexi hose at the same time while it will be cheaper to put on a hose from a car that's being broke the pipe could still be knackered get a new one from HH, they aren't expensive then at least you'll know it's fine rather than spending more money afterwards

Recon calipers are fine buy one get it fitted along with hose send old one off job done :D

My sentiments exactly. I've got a new (recon) caliper, it needs to have a new flexi.

Seems seized rear calipers are quite a common issue across all Hondas, old and new. Had issues on my civic, and dads crv to name a few!

Try Brakes International http://www.brakesint.co.uk/ best prices I've seen (e.g. new cheaper than refurb).

the price sounds ok. I'd be happy with being charged £40 to fit a caliper.

cheers guys, sorry on late reply as ive been busy with work.

Mines the saloon so would i need to replace flexi thing aswell? I was gonna leave it for a while but stoped at some lights other day on a hill and it just rolled back with the handbrake on :lol:

Lee at Holdcroft ripped me off then cos that's what I paid, and I bought 2 of them!

They are £48 from Lings, so that does seem expensive.

Ordered mine today from a local factors for £9.83 each plus the VAT. Hose is a hose in my eyes.

They are £48 from Lings, so that does seem expensive.

Ordered mine today from a local factors for £9.83 each plus the VAT. Hose is a hose in my eyes.
Indeed that is expensive. Do put a picture up of the hose that you get. Will be interesting to see the difference.
However there must a be reason why it's so different in price.

Indeed that is expensive. Do put a picture up of the hose that you get. Will be interesting to see the difference.
However there must a be reason why it's so different in price.

I will stick a picture up, has someone got a picture of a Honda one?

At the end of the day, it should be a (not very long) length of pipe with unions on the end. Do Honda make the pipes themselves or buy them in? I need drop links aswell. 2 from Honda are £100. Copies are £32. As long as they last a 3rd of the time Honda ones would have I'll be happy. It's probably on it's original ones now and done 105K. Will my car make it to 210k? In my ownership, no.

cheers guys, sorry on late reply as ive been busy with work.

Mines the saloon so would i need to replace flexi thing aswell? I was gonna leave it for a while but stoped at some lights other day on a hill and it just rolled back with the handbrake on :lol:
If the hoses don't look cracked, swollen or flattened - and you have no other reason to suspect they're defective - then they really don't need changing.

In a recent thread, someone actually cut up an old flexi that they had replaced and reported back that it looked fine.

I didn't replace mine when changing a rear caliper.

Just doing it as a precaution. The pipes are only £20 ish quid not £100.

I spoke to Honda today, they want £210 for a caliper fitted. I think refurb is best option seeing as rear brakes only do about 20% of the braking

Not very exciting

AEF3A3B1-9AE1-47D6-AC04-97C40C904B4A-3953-00000177CF777BB2.jpg

5DB07E11-F006-41FA-9AE9-E956C81C29E6-3953-00000177DAEF8F95.jpg