What's new

Rear Discs - how long should they last?

richsprint

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol Tourer
My 8th gen passed its MoT with 1 advisory about the rear brake pads being low, couple of thousand miles left they reckon, Kwik fit did the MoT.

Looking at it, you can see the pads are low probably about 3-4mm approx and the backing is starting to catch on the inner lip on the disc, its leaving a shiny edge on the lip. The discs do have a slight lip but not excessively.

Car is 6 years old 73k miles, do you reckon Honda won't just change the pads they will want to change the discs also?

Difference between £95 and £250!

Only had the front discs and pads done in March at Honda, don't really want to be in for the backs also so soon....

Rich if it's your second set of pads on the rear and having your 3rd new set I would change the disks as well.
I always as a rule Change 2 sets of pads to 1 set of disks.

My OEM discs on the 6th Gen started getting advisories of scored and corroded on the 6th year (that twice now at 12yrs).

I just put on some Pagid rear discs for £38, already had some OEM pads in the shed but paid about £30 for them. If I were you I'd replace the discs because I bet the discs might need done before the pads next time around so you'll be potentially throwing away that £95 cost.

I don't know how willing you would be to try and DIY your brakes, but if you do you won't ever pay a garage to do it again (Honda or otherwise).

Cheers for the comments guys.

I do my own servicing, but don't feel competent to do brakes, and don't have all the tools.

I'll probably use Honda, as its OEM parts and the fronts have been totally trouble free, no squealing sounds.

My car is just at that point in time where it needs quite a lot doing, auto trans fluid change is due soon also, but thats only £95 at Honda, so not too bad.

I would change discs based on condition and the minimum thickness (8mm) rather than based on how many sets of pads its had.Brakes are very easy to do in general once youve done it once youll wonder why you were nervous about it.
Although alot of rear calipers now need the pistons to be wound back instead of just pushed back in I bought a full kit for all cars for around £25 on ebay.

Ive got a pdf of the honda service manual if you want a copy?

Cheers
Scott

Cheers Scott. I'll see what Honda say. Probably just have it done, as I'm keeping it for at least another year, so want to be safe.

My 7th gen tourer has done 160k miles on the original rear disc rotors... they do look pretty rough, but work fine.

A distinct lip at the edge of the discs is normal, but can easily be removed with a suitable tool. Obviously the rotor will get thinner with use, but you'd be really unlucky to suffer a serious failure that hadn't been averted by an MOT failure.

I'm a lot fussier about the condition of my front brakes, which still have the original calipers and rotors.