What's new

Rear discs+pads and ABS wheel sensor changed

benw123

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 i-CTDI EX
My Accord has just spent two days at Maidenhead Honda. It has its MoT next month, and I knew my rear discs and pads had seen better days. The discs were particularly bad, probably still original at 121k, but corroded unevenly so only about a third of the discs had any contact with the pads. And then, just as I was thinking about getting it done, the dreaded ABS/VSA warning light came on.

I've been servicing my Accord largely myself for the 30k I've owned it, namely oil and filter changes, but while I read all the excellent how-to guides on TA at length, I decided I didn't fancy the discs and pads and the fault would have to be diagnosed anyway. I've tackled many bigger jobs over the years on older cars but the combination of long working hours, driving 20k a year and a young family at home means I just don't have the time. So I booked it in to Maidenhead Honda - the one at Littlewick Green on the A4, near where I work in Marlow - who had handled the transmission and brake fluid change earlier this year.

The discs and pads were £250, thanks to Honda's fixed price servicing, and the ABS diagnosis would be £45. Dropped it off and got a Honda Jazz as a courtesy car (not a bad car actually but hopeless on the motorway). The call came through at around 9:30am: it was the left-rear ABS wheel sensor throwing the error (thankfully, the module lives on) and they could order in the part for the next day. Total damage, including parts, labour, the diagnosis etc. would be £567. Not great, but I gently pushed and was offered a discount to £500 all-in which felt a little better.

Despite the cost I don't really feel too aggrieved, particularly as other than servicing, this is the first real repair the car has had. The staff were superb, the car came back fully valeted and I have shiny new discs and pads and no warning lights. If you live in the Thames Valley area I'd recommend the guys at Littlewick. They have a small franchise by dealer group standards but customer service is very good.

if after 121k miles that was all that was required you have a good one hang on to it!!
Well it's had new pads and so on but I took ownership at 94k. It's also had two new tyres, so not too bad given the miles I do.