What's new

rear droning noise

hanshok123

Members
Reaction score
Car
Ex Tourer
I Have been having a droning noise from the rear passenger side wheel I am still under warranty but the dealer said to go to a garage first to check for an obvious problem because they would charge if it turns out to not be a manufacturing fault.
I did as they said and they guy at the small independent garage said the rear tyre is bumpy on the inside which is probably due to excessive heat, and he said I need a new tyre??? I sating perhaps the bleeding obvious asked what could be causing the heat before I purchase a new tyre to subject it to the same fate!!!
He jacked up the rear and spun the wheel and it didnt do a full turn and was scratchy, he then said there was either a warpped disc or a stuck caliper, I called the dealer who said I would still have to take it in and if the caliper was jammed via a manufacturing fault they would replace it if anything elsew they would charge me and also 72 quid for diagnosing the fault, what a flaming cheek, HONDA flaming happiness bejesus I traded in my accord 55 plate ex estate with 150 k on it which drove like new I wish I hadnt bothered now!!!
:blush:
any suggestions should I just try and get it clened out as I had a quick look at the faults section but a bit ensure still?

My father had a similar fault on his car (VW) and they blasted the disc and pads with air?

comments very much appreciated cos ive got to get this sorted

Dan if this is a fault with the caliper then Honda should replace this free of charge.
But i have heard if the brakes have been changed before by an indipendant then this might in value the warranty.
What kind of warranty have you got? still the 3 year or an extended warranty.

Dan if this is a fault with the caliper then Honda should replace this free of charge.
But i have heard if the brakes have been changed before by an indipendant then this might in value the warranty.

Still in the 3 year mate (first registered 09/ 2010) I am so disappointed tho, I looked around for ages to pick the right car apart from this its a great motor and a real looker in pearl white also I am saving for a re-map to get it a bit more pokey (its 180 bhp but isnt that much faster than my old 2.2 cdti ex) but handles really well but after spending 15k on a car which is a lot of cash for me, i just cant believe within 4 months of owning it I get problems with it.

Also I had it serviced (full service) by Honda in Halesowen as the previous owner has purchased 3 years additional servicing which was transferred to me and they didnt pick anything up.

Anyway I have to cancel my mornings work for tomorrow to get down to Honda in Cardiff for them to tell me more than likely that it aint covered under warranty.

Brett what are your experiences with Honda Weston Super Mare or is there a dealer in Bristol cos Cardiff branch are really not that helpful to be honest, last year they wanted to charge me 570 quid for drop links and a set of pads on my old accord estate when failed an MOT so I got it done locally (Newport) for 140 all in took it back to Honda for the re-test and they were a bit s****ty and said they also didnt have time to clean the car as they have always done in the past ,so im wondering if you have good experiences with your dealers it wouldnt be that much further for me to travel??
what do you think?

I have not used them myself but have heard good reviews with WSM.
As for the 2 Bristol main dealers i have had bad experiences with them so will not use them.If there is something quite big needs doing i always use our affiliated dealers HH in stoke.
Its a 260 mile round trip but worth it for the great work they do.
Just a question what mileage has the car got as this might be a wheel bearing or a buckled alloy.Have you hit any pot holes in the last few months.

I have not used them myself but have heard good reviews with WSM.
As for the 2 Bristol main dealers i have had bad experiences with them so will not use them.If there is something quite big needs doing i always use our affiliated dealers HH in stoke.
Its a 260 mile round trip but worth it for the great work they do.
Just a question what mileage has the car got as this might be a wheel bearing or a buckled alloy.Have you hit any pot holes in the last few months.
Its on 43k now 36k when I got it 4 months ago but apart from the usual crappy roads we have become used to nothing major pot-holey to report really, I think I will just bite the bullet get it looked at at Cardiff tomorrow and see what they have to say, I wouldnt mind a link to the affil dealer you mentioned tho or can I find it on the site?

Hear you go Dan hear is a link also i will pm you a discount code if you use them. http://www.holdcrofthonda.co.uk/showroom/cars/

Hear you go Dan hear is a link also i will pm you a discount code if you use them. http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/forum/43-holdcroft-honda/
Thanks alot I will use them if I need discs , etc rather than feed the dealers fat cats if you say they are good :rolleyes:

Thanks alot I will use them if I need discs , etc rather than feed the dealers fat cats if you say they are good :rolleyes:
There the only dealers i trust and also we get great deals on OEM parts with free P&P

worth a read fella, could be the same issue ;)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12974-honda-8th-gen-accord-tourer-brakes-binding/page__p__144600__fromsearch__1#entry144600

or fixing the issue, done this job on a few 8th Gens now :huh:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12973-accord-tourer-rear-brake-hose-replacement-part1/page__gopid__144599#entry144599

worth a read fella, could be the same issue ;)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12974-honda-8th-gen-accord-tourer-brakes-binding/page__p__144600__fromsearch__1#entry144600

or fixing the issue, done this job on a few 8th Gens now :huh:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12973-accord-tourer-rear-brake-hose-replacement-part1/page__gopid__144599#entry144599

Thanks for the links mate I did read them and also I told the service engineers at Honda this morning, who indecently just replied ive never come across that before and just said the brake pads had jammed on and had caused wear on the disc and I need new pads and discs on the rear.

Obviously I wanted to know what had caused this as my theory that just treating the symptoms rather than finding the cause makes perfect sense to me and most human beings!

Unfortunately Honda could not give me an answer! Seriously they said they did not know!!!!!

So after 5 hours yes! 5 long hours I drove away £250 worse off with new discs and pads which may or may not be subject to some more abuse from what ever caused the fault in the first place.

The good news is that the noise has significantly decreased (although some slight droning from the feathered/lumpy inside edge of the rear tyres) and I dont have to play my Wham album at full blast to keep me sane (well from getting thoughts of hurling myself from the car at high speeds) and they have offered me an extended warranty for a further 3 years for £699 which can be spread into 10 monthly payments which I dont think is too bad actually (any thoughts on that extended warranty guys??).

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions although I am still left without a solid answer, they did say if it was a caliper they would have replaced it under warranty but tested it and said it operated fine, I am seriously considering the extended 3 year in case the caliper is an intermittent problem what does yoll reckon??

TBH Dan im thinking on the same lines with 3 years ex warranty.My car is out in July so i must make my mind up.
Also something to bear in mind is with the warranty to get 3 years breakdown cover as well.The only downside is all servicing and works need to be done by a Honda dealers or it invalidates the warranty.

TBH Dan im thinking on the same lines with 3 years ex warranty.My car is out in July so i must make my mind up.
Also something to bear in mind is with the warranty to get 3 years breakdown cover as well.The only downside is all servicing and works need to be done by a Honda dealers or it invalidates the warranty.

Yeh i know about the serving but ive got 2 years transfered with the car as the previous owner paid for it (albeit I have to take it to Brindley Honda in Halesowen) so its a bit of a no brainer really.
Only thing tho thinking about it (really did just think of it now) is the warranty going to be valid if I have the remapp and dpf bypass as i intend to by Fahad????

I would Say Dan if Honda find the car is mapped this will invalidate the warranty in afraid.Im not 100% but it might just invalidate things related to the remap if anything went wrong.You would be better off talking to Fahad about this mate.

I would Say Dan if Honda find the car is mapped this will invalidate the warranty in afraid.Im not 100% but it might just invalidate things related to the remap if anything went wrong.You would be better off talking to Fahad about this mate.

Yeh I thought so even if the later were true they would probably say the remapp had affected the faulty part in some magical mystery way which they cannot explain to me but just is the case so lump it type of explaination!!!

Sooooooooooo, do I be sensible and go with the warranty which will bring a certain piece of mind , or go with the 225 bhp upgrade and have some fun whilst racking up some spares bills ummmmmm decisions decisions!!!

I do no that remaps are very hard to detect unless you have the correct equipment.
So in a nutshell it's up to you Dan really play safe or have some fun.
What I will say iv talked to Honda dealers about my typhoon kit and they said my warrenty is ok but won't cover issues related to the after market filter.