What's new

Rear off-side suspension sag?

Rich_1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.2 CTDI Tourer
Hi all,

Not really sure how to describe it. I have an Accord Tourer and I noticed today that the car sits lower over this rear wheel than the other side.

It still rides ok with no bangs or clonks but I can feel it when turning left that it sits down...I think. The tyre is unevenly worn too so it may have been like this for some time and now I have realised I am imagining things!?

I have checked the spring as best I can and all looks good and I cannot feel any breaks. Could it be the shock that has ceased?

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Rich

A shock wouldn't seize (although I had a car where the rear shock froze in winter) it might leak.

You can see a knackered shock on some cars as they are driving down the road and the wheel is 'bouncing' on the spring.

Ha! Seized ! Not ceased. Long day!

Ok thanks. I am at a loss then. It is most likely the spring then but it does appear to be fine. Compared to the other side i would say it's about 15mm lower.

Get someone to drive down the road next to you and see if the wheel is bouncing off the tarmac?

Check all your control arms and bushes for play or damage.
On mine there are 3 on each side I'm sure it's the same on the 7 gen but members will confirm.
If you say your tyre is worn is that the inside edge.
If so you have - camber and will be worth getting an alignment done

Rich_1981 said:
Seems to be the opposite. Just not soaking up any bumps .
That's what I mean though. A damper, working with a spring keeps the tyre on the road to soak up the bumps. If you've got a knackered shock so that the car is just resting on the spring and the damper not damping then it won't soak anything up, just bounce on top of it.

The wheel is not bouncing at all. It is planted.

Not had a chance to check bushes etc but will. Just want to be clear what it is before some garage try to make money out of me!

Thanks for your help so far...

mine looks the same, its just the way it is. had replaced bushed made no difference, its lower on the back on lower on one side slightly but then on occasions its back to normal, i posted a thread here about it when i first experienced the issue 200 miles away from home

15mm is quite a difference. It's possible that the spring has broken, but it's difficult to see while it's under pressure on the car. Also possible that a lowering spring has been mistakenly fitted only on this side back in the past by previous owners, who knows..
Recommend that you take off the spring, on the Tourer it's really simple, just take the lower shock bolt off (17mm) and the whole arm will drop.

Cheers,
Alex