What's new

Rear view mirror vs rain sensor

delbert

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDi
Hi All,

I've just had my windscreen replaced but have an issue in that the rear view mirror and rain sensor are now fighting for the same space. It wasn't like this before the replacement but I need some proof it shouldn't be like it is (and hopefully some guidance on what it should look like). I wonder if someone's got a picture of their rear view mirror or could describe how the mirror should move around the rain sensor (below/beside etc)?

This is what mine looks like:

mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

mirror3.jpg

Also does anyone happen to know what the Honda part number should be (it's an official screen on a pre-facelift car), or if there's a known problem?

Cheers, DelBert

Well, that's strange, my images aren't showing, the direct links are:

http://www.thecauseway.org.uk/accord/mirror1.jpg
http://www.thecauseway.org.uk/accord/mirror2.jpg
http://www.thecauseway.org.uk/accord/mirror3.jpg

Is the rear view mirror in the correct position? It seems it was glued a bit too high.
huh.gif

The mirror has been mounted too high mate. The rain sensor position can't change, so it's the mirror.

What a bunch of plonkers - who fitted it?

When my windscreen was fitted (genuine), the clip for the mirror was already stuck to the windscreen and he just slide the mirror on. The mirror looks like its in the same position as mine, but mine has no rain sensitive wipers :rolleyes:

So it could even be the wrong screen possibly? Only the Exec gets the rain sensing wipers..

I don't think I can blame the people that fitted it, both the rain sensor and rear view mirror mounts are supplied already attached to the screen (or at least that's what I've been told). They ordered the screen from Honda based on the chassis number so I wanted the part number to check that Honda supplied the correct screen (the only possible thought I've had is that a post facelift screen was supplied and there's some minor difference).

It's an official Honda screen so it should be correct but it's always possible a faulty batch of screens slipped through.

DelBert

Delbert, not sure if it makes sense but have you tilted your mirror forward i.e. the anti glare feature, maybe that coupled with the usual setting you use are causing it to catch?

I don't think that should happen as it means that the design was bad from factory... but you never know.

Thanks for the idea Fahad, either way I try the mirror it just doesn't seem right. It's even worse for my girlfriend, as she's a few inches shorter she ends up with the mirror just off horizontal to clear the rain sensor.

It does seem like bad design on Honda's part, it's like the rain sensor is on the wrong side of the mirror for a right hand drive car (although the cut out in the roof lining is on the right hand side so it is where it was originally designed to be).

On top of all this the new screen is whistling so I need to get it refitted anyway. The company has agreed to refit it but they want to know about the mirror situation first.

Anyone able to take a quick picture or their car?

Thanks, DelBert

Looks a completely different mirror to me from what is in mine, plus the mirror clamp and post again completely different.

Del, is it a pre face-lift or face-lift car?

Fahad you've got the exec pre face-lift does the attachment where the mirror goes look the same?

What is also a bit weird is that there is no channel down for what would be the cable to the rear view to power the anti glare, unless that is only face-lift cars

Cannot take a picture of mine at the moment, but will do later if still required

There is nothing wrong with your mirror mate thats how they are its fitted correctly. Please note that the facelift accord has a different mirror, it is electric auto dimming mirror with sensors etc... I have just has my windscreen and trim fitted from autoglass as it cracked and also damaged the side trim... they fitted it all and also a genuine screen too... so far so good they seem to have done a great job on it.

But from them pictures that is normal mate.

^^^ His cars not a facelift, he's got a standard mirror.

It does look a little tight to me, the mirror seems to be mounted high. But as you say the fixing is factory bonded to the screen.

Have you tried to rotate the mirror arm to 180 degrees so the curve points downwards, not up? That might solve your problem

Thanks Krasimir, that's a very interesting idea, it does look like the angle the mirror fits onto the screen might be adjustable (I'll have a look later). I don't think it's 180 degrees out though, it would be pointing out at a very strange angle if I did that.

I know it's already been answered but just in case, the car is a pre-facelift.

DelBert