What's new

Rear wheel bearings

Hondany

Reaction score
Car
Accord sport cdti
Can anyone recommend rear wheel bearings for a gen 7 2008 cdti sport. Or brands to go for.

SKF, ***, NTN/SNR, Blueprint, Bilstein, NK, all good

iirc NTN is the OEM supplier for honda

I would stay away from F.A.G bearings, they have been troublesome for me in the past, I think the Japanese brands NTN/NSK are the best, SKF as well but be careful about where you get them from, lots of counterfeit bearings around these days.

I would stay away from F.A.G bearings, they have been troublesome for me in the past
they have also been a bother for some of our customers in the past, particularly on 4motion 2k caddies, 3 different cars with bearings failing early, but on the other hand they've been fine on a number of other cars as well. bad qc or sensitive platform? who knows

I replaced an E11 Corolla front wheel bearing twice using F.A.G both times failed early, Replaced with Genuine Toyota ,no further issues even after car was sold.
When or if the time comes to replace the Accord wheel bearings I think I will buy genuine, expensive but you get very good QC with Honda parts, that is why you pay extra.
Even parts like Lambda sensors that are made by NTK/NGK for Toyota won't work like the OEM unit when installed, why? I guess QC has a lot to say about it.

Beware that tourer and saloon have different rear bearings when ordering. You can check part numbers on lingshonda if you aren't sure. the rears on the tourer come as a hub unit while I believe it is just a bearing for the saloon.

I replaced mine with a SKF which was nearly double what all the others cost but it has proven to be quite solid. I have taken numerous trips with a fully loaded tourer and haven't had any problem since replacement.

I am ***uming you have the saloon by the your description.

I have changed my rear bearing on my 2006 Accord due to changing a naff sensor and have used this bearing from this supplier.
(the reason for changing the bearing was a chain of events which led to a premature failure of the bearing)

I have done over 40k miles on it and it is still going brilliantly today.

I did go for a genuine OEM Honda one (I found a new old stock seller on ebay at the time for £90) - it then died as water got into the hub due to lack of sealing around the ABS sensor.

Hence trying the above link on a cheaper alternative, I used some silicone sealant around the ABS sensor and the hub seal aswell as the after market bearing hub doesnt seal to well.

Its cheap and does the job really well. Quite impressed so far.

If you want to go Honda OEM you can get them from Cox.
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hon.../dfclassic/query=bearing&query_name=match_and

As mentioned rear bearing ***emblies are different form saloon and tourer. However the tourer is not the bearing on its own, it is still part of a hub ***embly.

They all come as a complete ***embly, you cannot change the bearings on their own.
As they are, it is an easy DIY because of this. Brilliant bit of engineering!

I didnt mind trying a cheaper bearing brand as they are pretty easy to change DIY, and if failed its just a couple hours to change it again.
However, if you are using a garage to change it for you, I would recommend going the Honda OEM route as you are paying labour charges to have it done so you want peace of mind of doing it once and then not revisiting it again year later.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I would expect the tourer to have a vastly superior design of rear wheel bearing, in order to cope with the maximum weight loading that one can throw in the back.

Whilst bearings are graded from the manufacturers, the owner / driver will have some responsiblity on the longevity of them (hard cornering, kerbing, even wheel balancing when tyres are replaced) , the increase in pothole numbers, sleeping policemen and the general quality of roads contributes to the length of time a bearing can survive,

I went for Blue print in the end and changed them myself. Doesnt take that long.
When fitting I noticed my rear drop links and bushes are knacked, that will be the next job.
@accord_n22 yes I have a saloon, it's a black one.

Has anyone here used a press to change the bearing in the rear Tourer bearing ***embly? If so, how did you remove the old bearing?

Another rear wheel bearing question. Is anyone driving a high mileage Tourer still on the original bearings?

And for people who have replaced them - what were the symptoms? Noise? play?

My left rear went at around 140000miles (220000km) when the car was 15years old. It made a sort of droning sound especially at highway speeds. I drove on it quite a while before changing it. I did the swerve test to see if the noise changed but it wasn’t detectable to my ear. This was the test that I seemed to come across most when looking for ways to diagnose the problem. I was happy when I changed it though. It was around 100€ and I did the work myself. I bought the most expensive bearing I could find without going OEM Honda which was an SKF. I even invested in a torque wrench as I was worried that getting the torque wrong would destroy my newly installed hub (a complete unit on the Tourer). The Tourer bearing design makes it easy to do (the rears at least) without special tools and presses. The most difficult thing was undoing the nut on the hub. The caliper and disc unbolt then the hub unit comes off. I had two people put weight on the spanner I used on the hub nut. Probably easier with the leverage of a longer spanner.