What's new

Recommend me a good European oil for my Accord

Maudlin

Reaction score
Car
2009 Honda Accord
Hi, folks. I am new here.

I drive 2009 Honda Accord (8th generation).
A little about the car: it's 2.0l, petrol engine (Honda R20A3 engine), 156 hp.

So far I have used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 fully synthetic oil.
No issues with it. My car seems to "like" it. On the label it says "for both petrol and diesel engines". However, I was advised that the ESP formula is really not the best thing for my petrol engine..

Here I become really puzzled about two things:

1. The ACEA oil sequences. I know what they mean, but I can't really figure out are they really compatible to each other. For instance: Is A3/B3 better than say C2, C3? Mobil 1 ESP which I am using says on the label it is C2, C3. Should I stick to oils solely made for petrol engine?
2. The viscosity. Honda says "Use 0w20 or 5w20 oil all year roung no matter where you live". Well summers here are sometimes quite hot, temps go 35+ C, isn't 0w20 way too thin for a warm climate?

Thank you.

I'm using the same oil and no problems so far.

Hi and welcome Petar.

I'm using Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 Fully Synth C3 in mine. It is rated API CN which is what Honda require for petrol engines. I also have the R20 engine.

Some people recommend 0w/20 for better fuel consumption, but it is a lot more expensive.

5w/30 is a lot cheaper than the 0w rated oils, £24 for 4 litres!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Motor-Oil-Castrol-Magnatec-5w30-C3-Fully-Synthetic-4L-Litre-/291490305930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43de2d178a

I've decided to stick with 5w/30 as my car is 7 years old and 76k miles, changing to a thinner oil might wear my engine out faster...

My car is almost 9 yrs old and i had been using 0w30 oil. Never had a problem, it has 115k on clock. Do you mean to say i should use a thicker version?

please advise

no your oil is ok as its not 0/20 which is thinner than yours when warm.

Brand wise nothing better than millers oils from brighouse.
They will also give you all the tech advise you need.