What's new

Recommendations for diesel coilovers?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could recommend a set of coilover's for a diesel Accord (2004) ? Been looking at V-maxx but they don't seem to manufacture them for the Accord, although I've seen Tein's they're quiet expensive and I'd be hoping for something a bit more reasonable.

Don't really want to go the route of lowering springs because of the risk of changing shocks in time.

Any advice appreciated! :)

Bc racing is the way forward bud, IV had mine on for over a year and others have brought the BC racing ones too :) all have given positive feedback on them :)

Meister R have had good reviews and decently priced.

Have a look at Funky power for BC coilovers...

Paul

KW, you can choose between V1,V2 and V3 it all depends from your wallet ;)

Yeah my wallet seems to have gone on a bit of a diet these days, hopefully if I can sell off some clutter around here I'll gather the pennies! :) Thanks for the replies all...I'll keep my eyes open for them anyway!
Is there much to installing them or could it be a DIY job?

Just thought I'd bring ye a bit of an update for the moment, BC coilovers are just over €700 here for the BR series but I got a price of €600 for Koni Yellow Sport shocks and H&R springs. Something is telling me the Koni shocks and springs would be a bit more comfortable and at less money they seem appealing.

Any advice?

BC coilovers or Koni Shocks with H&R springs?

BCs mate. All day long go for the BCs. They are a great value bit of kit, and will give you a - a good drop, b - great road holding, c - a good level of comfort.

If you can choose between bc and hr+koni I'd go with bc, but springs with koni dampers is good set up too, and when my stock dampers will say goodbye koni will be my choice ;)

If you can choose between bc and hr+koni I'd go with bc, but springs with koni dampers is good set up too, and when my stock dampers will say goodbye koni will be my choice ;)

By the sounds of that you've been running lowering springs with stock dampers? How long have they been fitted on the original shocks or how long can you expect them to last with lowering springs fitted?

yeap, I'm running on stock dampers around 6 months now and I'm sure that they will last much longer as KW lowering springs are compatible with stock dampers, most lowering springs up to -30/-35mm can work with stock dampers, everything lower than that should work with shorter dampers, anyway this info should be on manufacturers leaflet at least it was on mine ;)
I know few guys who are running on stock dampers with eibach's over a year without any issues, obviously proper suspension it's springs with dampers, but if you want some improvement in handling and better look springs only are good choice especially when you don't have enough money for whole set, so you can buy dampers separate after some time ;) or if you are not fully satisfied with drop koni can give you around -15mm more drop and you can also adjust stiffness ;)

guys.. coilovers really arnt all that great for the 'normal' user.

a good set of new shocks and springs from H&R or other good brand with a set of compatible springs will be much nicer than coilovers any day.

Coilovers have got this stigma that they are the dogs ball, but in reality, they are a pain to correctly set up / corner weight, most people dont understand the importance of getting coilovers set correctly as it can severly ruin the handling. Also .. just because you can raise and lower the ride height... do you really do it once you have set your 'wanted' stance ? i can bet most of you will say NO to that last part.

Coilovers do have advantages if you buy a decent set with damping and rebound adjust... but its not really needed for a road car.

Most people will be more than happy with a good set of new springs and shocks ;)

I remember reading an article somewhere to that effect on another forum. It basically went through all the adjusting and particularly that corner weighing business. Seemed very complicated for everyday use, even far stretched for track day users unless they're quiet seriously involved.

a good set of new shocks and springs from H&R or other good brand with a set of compatible springs will be much nicer than coilovers any day.

Coilovers have got this stigma that they are the dogs ball, but in reality, they are a pain to correctly set up / corner weight, most people dont understand the importance of getting coilovers set correctly as it can severly ruin the handling. Also .. just because you can raise and lower the ride height... do you really do it once you have set your 'wanted' stance ? i can bet most of you will say NO to that last part.

Coilovers do have advantages if you buy a decent set with damping and rebound adjust... but its not really needed for a road car.

Most people will be more than happy with a good set of new springs and shocks ;)
totally agree with that, also most people don't realize that you need to care about tread otherwise you may get trouble to move it in the feature,, and for daily use it's to much hassle with that ;)

Well I've decided to skip the coilovers for now, €700 was just a bit too much for me when I dont REALLY NEED them. Ordered an Eibach Pro Kit yesterday so I'm hoping to have it late next week. I think it'll do what I'm looking for, for now anyway! A 35mm drop will reduce the arch gap and improve the stance without being very harsh for my daily driving!

Bc racing is the way forward bud, IV had mine on for over a year and others have brought the BC racing ones too :) all have given positive feedback on them :)

Totally agree, I just had mines fitted today and i'm really impressed with the ride quality, only slighter stiffer from standard. Definitely a nice bit of the kit for the money :)

(p.s. they can go very low, if you are into that kinda thing :p )