What's new

Refurbish a brake caliper

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
I had an MOT recently and it initially failed on a binding rear brake caliper. I was told by the tester that I needed to replace the caliper so I bought one off a scrapper. The car sailed through when it was retested with no advisories but I was told there probably wasn't much life left in the replacement caliper either.

So, I've looked into if I can buy another caliper and refurb it? I'm wondering if this can be done and if so, could I do it? I'm alright with the spanners and service the car myself.

It's doable, there are videos on YouTube showing how, but to me it's too messy, much better to buy a newly refurbed one and just fit it straight on.

Also the one you've got can be sent off for refurb if you don't fancy a DIY. Trouble with that is you are off the road for a bit which is another reason why I think new for old is better.

That DIY would work for the 6th Gen, although as its the rear (saloon) you can just squeeze and release the handbrake lever arm repeatedly with large pliers (channellocks, pipe pliers etc) and it will pop the piston out.

As its a spare, why not give it a try ;)