What's new

Remap and New Emissions rules

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
I can't be the only one wondering this. My car is running a Stage 1 remap, EGR delete

MOT isn't till Feb 2019, but I am wondering how it would fare with the new MOT regulations for diesels.

Can't see there'll be a problem for EGR delete. It's DPF removal that the MoT changes will be focusing on.

The uk mot test really isn't very sophisticated, and doesn't actually test cars in real world conditions. The egr doesn't operate anyway until the car is up to operating temperature and under load, so any difference in a test while the car is stationery is negligible.

Unless you've got a gaping hole where the egr used to be, I'm not sure why it would fail.

Got it. I live next door to my MOT center, so no danger of it being at operating temperature

On a separate note, I will take the plunge and get a new clutch. 50k miles post remap, 138k total miles and it is still on the original clutch, but slips more often than not when booted

F6HAD said:
The uk mot test really isn't very sophisticated, and doesn't actually test cars in real world conditions. The egr doesn't operate anyway until the car is up to operating temperature and under load, so any difference in a test while the car is stationery is negligible.

Unless you've got a gaping hole where the egr used to be, I'm not sure why it would fail.

Yep sounds like it's due for a change now mate.

Stoobsy said:
Can't see there'll be a problem for EGR delete. It's DPF removal that the MoT changes will be focusing on.
I may have to take that back! Apparently EGR valves are also coming under scrutiny:-

From 8.2.2.1 of the new MOT inspection manual "You need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves"

So if a blanking plate has been fitted into the EGR pipework, and the pipework is visible (not sure if pipework is visible with engine cover in place) then an MOT tester will be able to see that a blanking plate has been fitted in the pipework. It depends how zealous the tester is, if they don't want to lose their licence, and/or hate diesels, they will find it.

Which is why I was suggesting unless there is something obviously missing then it shouldn't be a problem. The blanking plates just look like a metal gasket on these cars.