What's new

Remote Locking issue

andy.lane1

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 1.8 SE Facelift
Hello again guys. Thought I would come to the brain trust this this as I am stuck. Remote central locking has worke grand upto today. Locked the car last night with no problems. Tried to unlock today and no joy. I have a feeling this has something to do with the alarm as once I unlocked it with the key it deactivated the alarm but locking it with the key is not resetting it. Also the super locks are not working. I have changed the battery in the remote fob just to make sure and the issue is still there. I have looked at the owners manual and it says that on locking the car with the key the alarm should set. It has not. It also says two turns for super locks and it is not working and I have looked at the fuses which I suspect it is but I cannot find the one for the alarm. I should say it is the factory fit Honda alarm but there is nothing in the book relating to a fuse for it.

Hopefully somebody out there can help
Thanks in advance.
Andy

More strangeness. went out for a drive. came back an tried the fob. it is working again. also the alarm arms when using the key too. so it is an alarm problem. hope this does not keep happening. anybody else have a similar issue?

maybe its because of door knob switch. maybe one is malfunctioning so you cant engage lock. If the problem reaper to you try to check all knobs. trunk,boot lid, every door.

I noticed that when I leave door or boot lid open keyless entry system is not working

Are you making sure the light on the fob is lighting up to ensure the button is being pressed properly?

Hi Guys,

I have checked both of the things you mentioned. I even replaced the battery in the keyfob just to make sure. I checked all the door stops and latches and all are fine. What I find odd is that when it was not working when I used the key to lock the door the alarm would not arm and the deadlocks would not kick in and now it is all good. I think it is an alarm issue in some shape or form but there is no info on where the control unit is or where it gets it's power from. or a fuse for that matter.

It maybe can be a broken wire in drivers door linkage then. Door powerlock uses no12 and no13 fuses in passenger's underdash fusebox

Thanks for the info guys. Just to clarify I never lost central locking. just the ability to use the remote which is working again for some reason and also the alsrm would not arm when locking the car with the key. and also the deadlocks (superlocks) would not work. I think this all linked to the alarm system and not the locking system.

Andy

The remote fob activates the alarm. you cant do this via the key. If you are getting intermittent issues with the remote fob and the battery is good i would be looking at the Antenna for the alarm. I don't know where this can be found on the Accord though.

Also the deadlock function usually requires a double press of the lock button on the remote, something you obviously can't do with a key.

The remote fob activates the alarm. you cant do this via the key. If you are getting intermittent issues with the remote fob and the battery is good i would be looking at the Antenna for the alarm. I don't know where this can be found on the Accord though.

Also the deadlock function usually requires a double press of the lock button on the remote, something you obviously can't do with a key.

Hi Neil

It is the antenna and alarm that I am looking for but cant find it. On the 6th gen with the factory fit alarm locking the door with the Key automatically arms the alarm turning the key clockwise twice activates the deadlocks. it is right there in the owners manual and once the fob started working again these features were working. as both of these features were not working when the keyfob was also not working I believe it has narrowed the issue to the alarm.

Andy

The sensor for my alarm is the little dome by the front interior light.

I would have thought that the alarm system would be behind the glove box with all of the other electrical system stuff.

It may be worth getting the service book from Tony (it's stickied in this thread) because I'm sure the alarm system will be covered in that. I would have a look for you but I'm on my phone not my laptop

The sensor for my alarm is the little dome by the front interior light.

I would have thought that the alarm system would be behind the glove box with all of the other electrical system stuff.

It may be worth getting the service book from Tony (it's stickied in this thread) because I'm sure the alarm system will be covered in that. I would have a look for you but I'm on my phone not my laptop
Hi Colin,

No dome on mine. the LED is imbedded in the rev counter. it is more than likely behind the glovebox but as the problem has sorted it's self I will leave well enough alone as I don't want to tear the dash apart if I can avoid it. as for the manual I have it but now that I have gotten rid of my last windows pc and gone all Apple I have no way to open it. thanks though

Hi
this info mite help some1 esle later on.

The key will arm the car alarm from the door and set the deadlocks. when you turn the key in the door hold it to the right and the car should lock on the key going back to the center it will arm the alarm and the car will flash hazerds 3times.

The dome next the the interior light is for key fobs working on infer-red if yours doesnt have this then its a Frequency key fob. this unit sends signals down the passanger A pilller to the passenger fuse box.

The Frequency reciver is behinded the glove box on the right hand side (black box with 8way green multi plug)

then alarm is built in to the passnger fuse box multifuction(MFU) unit witch also controls the central locking.
I would suspect mutlifuction unit (MFU) this to be faulty or lose as this is where the Frequncy reciver sends its signals.

Good to here yours is working :D

Hi
this info mite help some1 esle later on.

The key will arm the car alarm from the door and set the deadlocks. when you turn the key in the door hold it to the right and the car should lock on the key going back to the center it will arm the alarm and the car will flash hazerds 3times.

The dome next the the interior light is for key fobs working on infer-red if yours doesnt have this then its a Frequency key fob. this unit sends signals down the passanger A pilller to the passenger fuse box.

The Frequency reciver is behinded the glove box on the right hand side (black box with 8way green multi plug)

then alarm is built in to the passnger fuse box multifuction(MFU) unit witch also controls the central locking.
I would suspect mutlifuction unit (MFU) this to be faulty or lose as this is where the Frequncy reciver sends its signals.

Good to here yours is working :D

Hi Gordon,

That is exactly the information I was looking for. I will leave well enough alone at the moment as it is working again but if it happens again I will know exactly where to look.
Thanks for that
Andy

Hi, new member here, yesterday I bought a 99 accord, but I am figuring things out with my first Honda, and have a fob that will UNLOCK the central locking once I press the door lock button on the drivers door, but the fob LOCK button will not do anything, replaced the battery and can see the red led on the fob flash from each press but nothing is happening to the car!
Is this as simple as a fuse change or is it something needing replaced? I have no manual with my car, so joining this forum is ALL I have lol great reading how happy people are with their Accords :)
Have to say the 1.8is that I have is always trying to get me to drive faster, is this a Honda side-effect? lol
Thanks in advance...

Hi Chris.

Welcome, Believe me joining this forum is one of the best things I did in regards to my car, has saved me a fortune in repair bills. As far as your issue goes I think it may be the fob that is the issue. The fact that it is unlocking your car seems to point to it. Can you lock the car using the key in the door, and if so does the central locking and alarm (if fitted) arm? You will know if the alarm arms as the hazards will blink three times. if all this happens I would say it is the fob. You could try recoding the fob to the car. there are instructions here http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9374-key-and-fob-merging/ . May as well try it. Failing that you could price a new fob. I have no idea where you are in Ireland but I got a price from Gowan Motors on the Navan road of €65.41 + VAT but it may be a different fob as my car is the face lift 6th gen. I think you can pick them up on ebay fairly easily and then recode using the instructions on the above link.

Hope this helps in some way. Again enjoy the site

Andy

Hey Andy,
thanks for the welcome and reply :)

Yes this site is a gem of a find lol
I'm sure I will be reading and learning alot here!

I did try the key to see if it helped but no joy, it just locks all doors, no lights flash no alarm sounds, not sure there is an alarm!
Yes I managed to find and read that post about re-programming the fob, the first time it just stopped the un-locking that was working, but I tried it again and got it back to un-locking but still will not lock it lol
Cool I'm in Co. Leitrim, but will have a look online and see if I can get a new fob soon!

Thanks again dude!

Hi Chris.

Welcome, Believe me joining this forum is one of the best things I did in regards to my car, has saved me a fortune in repair bills. As far as your issue goes I think it may be the fob that is the issue. The fact that it is unlocking your car seems to point to it. Can you lock the car using the key in the door, and if so does the central locking and alarm (if fitted) arm? You will know if the alarm arms as the hazards will blink three times. if all this happens I would say it is the fob. You could try recoding the fob to the car. there are instructions here http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9374-key-and-fob-merging/ . May as well try it. Failing that you could price a new fob. I have no idea where you are in Ireland but I got a price from Gowan Motors on the Navan road of €65.41 + VAT but it may be a different fob as my car is the face lift 6th gen. I think you can pick them up on ebay fairly easily and then recode using the instructions on the above link.

Hope this helps in some way. Again enjoy the site

Andy

Hey Andy,
thanks for the welcome and reply :)

Yes this site is a gem of a find lol
I'm sure I will be reading and learning alot here!

I did try the key to see if it helped but no joy, it just locks all doors, no lights flash no alarm sounds, not sure there is an alarm!
Yes I managed to find and read that post about re-programming the fob, the first time it just stopped the un-locking that was working, but I tried it again and got it back to un-locking but still will not lock it lol
Cool I'm in Co. Leitrim, but will have a look online and see if I can get a new fob soon!

Thanks again dude!

Hi Chris,

Did you try the fuses? Door powerlock uses no12 and no13 fuses in passenger's underdash fusebox it may be something as simple as that. Failing that I suspect either the fob or the actual MFU (the alarm is apparently part of the fusebox. )

Hello again guys. Thought I would come to the brain trust this this as I am stuck. Remote central locking has worke grand upto today. Locked the car last night with no problems. Tried to unlock today and no joy. I have a feeling this has something to do with the alarm as once I unlocked it with the key it deactivated the alarm but locking it with the key is not resetting it. Also the super locks are not working. I have changed the battery in the remote fob just to make sure and the issue is still there. I have looked at the owners manual and it says that on locking the car with the key the alarm should set. It has not. It also says two turns for super locks and it is not working and I have looked at the fuses which I suspect it is but I cannot find the one for the alarm. I should say it is the factory fit Honda alarm but there is nothing in the book relating to a fuse for it.

Hopefully somebody out there can help
Thanks in advance.
Andy

I had this exatted same problem tonight and have worked out what was causing it :D the drivers door sensor wasnt making a good connection! un-did the screw and it all worked lol i had the (MFU) in bits looking for a fualt haha the alarm/remote locking wont work if any of the doors are open.

so double check the wee door buttons are ok before replacing anything!

Hey Andy, yeah I managed to find and check all the fuses, but all were ok! Seems like TinMan was spot on!!!

Hi Chris,

Did you try the fuses? Door powerlock uses no12 and no13 fuses in passenger's underdash fusebox it may be something as simple as that. Failing that I suspect either the fob or the actual MFU (the alarm is apparently part of the fusebox. )

Thank you my good sir, spot on, I was checking each door button in turn, it's always the last one you check!
Driver side rear door button is missing, the squashed rubber case is there but no button or wire, just a hole lol
Managed to pull down the rear seat and could squeeze a hand in the gap to feel for the wire, and got it too, with only half a broken button on the end :)
so I just have to find a replacement on-line, rang the local car scrapper and asked, he said he never gets honda accords in lol
So I hope I can get one and that will hopefully get the central locking going again, even though I managed to mess up my remote fob, it used to un-lock only, after doing the binding dance a few times it
stopped doing that lol may try to pick up a fob on she bay soon :)
Thanks again guys.

I had this exatted same problem tonight and have worked out what was causing it :D the drivers door sensor wasnt making a good connection! un-did the screw and it all worked lol i had the (MFU) in bits looking for a fualt haha the alarm/remote locking wont work if any of the doors are open.

so double check the wee door buttons are ok before replacing anything!