What's new

Removing sidelights

padraig

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex i-CTDi
Hi,

Is there an easier way to remove the sidelight bulbs? I've tried the two tricks of removing the two fasteners over the wheels and also removing the Phillips screw and the bit of the bumper (video here) I have fairly big hands, any tips?

Hi,

Is there an easier way to remove the sidelight bulbs? I've tried the two tricks of removing the two fasteners over the wheels and also removing the Phillips screw and the bit of the bumper (video here) I have fairly big hands, any tips?

Mate, you must have huge hands. All i do is remove the two plastic fasteners at the top of the arch liner and pull back the arch liner enough to get my hand in. Dont be shy with the arch liner as its pretty tuff and wont break. Just yank it back and get your hand in there.
No need to remove the wheel or anything like that.
Persevere. You will get it in the end.

I actually was afraid that I would damage it. Will give it another go later with a bit more force ... my hands aren't that big! haha :)

I had to change my sidelight the other day,

Its a bit of a pig but as Padraig said just take the two fasteners out of the inner wheel arch (although if there old and brittle like mine they may break!) and pull the lining out the way and stick your hands in.

Its not any easy job (and getting it back in is a different story!) but don't be shy!!!

Got it! :D I removed the two fasteners and bent/popped it away from the car arch which gave me loads of room to play with. Got my 25 SMD LEDs put in, look great ... now I've to get HIDs to match haha

Got it! :D I removed the two fasteners and bent/popped it away from the car arch which gave me loads of room to play with. Got my 25 SMD LEDs put in, look great ... now I've to get HIDs to match haha

oooooh I bet they look nice!!! I just got some 13 SMD LEDs 156 lumens in the car this evening and they look nice....not bad price either at under a tenner for a pair from ebay :) Also put some smaller 5 SMD Red LEDs in the front door lights - lurvely......

Has anyone who hasn't got HIDs tried these headlamp bulbs? I would be interested to know. My halogen bulbs look quite yellow next to the SMD LEDs :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-H1-Car-Bulbs-25-LED-SMD-White-Head-Fog-Light-Lamp-/110649883082?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c33f39ca

oooooh I bet they look nice!!! I just got some 13 SMD LEDs 156 lumens in the car this evening and they look nice....not bad price either at under a tenner for a pair from ebay :) Also put some smaller 5 SMD Red LEDs in the front door lights - lurvely......

Has anyone who hasn't got HIDs tried these headlamp bulbs? I would be interested to know. My halogen bulbs look quite yellow next to the SMD LEDs :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19c33f39ca

Some pics of my sidelights here: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/567-diy-full-led-conversion/page__view__findpost__p__42357

I tried switching to 25 SMD LEDs the other day. Fitted it and pushed it back in but the bloomin thing fell out of the holder and into the sidelight lens/fitting. Anyone know how to get to the innards of the sidelight

its easily done Dave the fitment on the longer leds i find are quite loose.next time put some white insulation tape around for extra security.as for getting the lamp out have a word with hot fuzz he done the same thing.the only thing i can think is get a strong magnet on a flexy wire

Thanks Brett I`ll give the magnet trick a go. I have one of those extending rods that looks like a car aerial with quite a powerful magnet at the end. Ideal for poking about in dark corners.

Thanks Brett I`ll give the magnet trick a go. I have one of those extending rods that looks like a car aerial with quite a powerful magnet at the end. Ideal for poking about in dark corners.
That might just work take your time and anything can be achieved.I would say if the magnet touches the 2 wires on the LED you in luck because there very light in weight.The only problem i can see is the rods don't bend and the LED is probably on the bottom of the lens but have fun.There is a tool or a bendy screwdriver you can get made by Stanley if it doesn't work.

have a look hear.

http://www.amazon.com/V8-Tools-V8T3826-Flexible-Magnetic/dp/B002YKNOLQ/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks for this post. Had to change my sidelight today. Halfords refused to do it as it was so far inside the arch.
Was worried Honda's would charge an arm and a leg. After reading this forum post, thought I'd give it a go.

I found by removing the main beam cover inside the bonnet that gave plenty of room to get your right hand in (I was doing passenger side). I didn't need to remove any fasteners for the battery cable etc. Also rather than remove the socket from the bulb holder first, I found you actually get more leverage by just grabbing the whole thing (socket/plug) and twisting it anti-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the bulb holder from the light housing.

Getting it back in is a bit more tricky, but if you look through the lens cover from the outside you can just about see yourself putting the bulb in to the correct position; use the opposite side as a guide.

Now I know that if I want to upgrade to the LED variety, then it will be a piece of cake.

Thanks all !