What's new

Renew your key fob for less than a tenner

phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
Having got totally fed up with my keyfobs falling to bits with insulating tape keeping them together, I felt there must be another way of renewing your key without giving 200 quid to your local Honda dealer. There is. Read on:

I made my first one a few months back and it's still very solid, so when it came to doing the spare, I decided to share the love.

To make yourself a new key, you will need the following:

Key01.jpg

Pair of pliers, a candle, matches, Stanley knife, small optical screwdrivers, pair of tweezers, and optionally a new battery (Panasonic CR1616 I bought 2 on ebay for £2.50). Of course you need your old knackered key and a new key blank which I bought on ebay for £5.50.
First, take the old key apart, being careful not to lose any of the bits inside it.

Key02.jpg

Now separate the two halves of the new key fob, after first unscrewing the Philips head screw from the key blade.

Key03.jpg

You will realise that the key blade is firmly embedded in the plastic of the key fob. First of all, take a Stanley knife and start exposing some of the key as shown:

Key04.jpg

Once you’ve exposed the metal as shown, time to get burnin’!
Hold the blank key blade with some pliers, with the key blade over the candle flame.

Key05.jpg

After about a minute, gently pull the keyfob away from the blade – they should part fairly easily.

Key06.jpg

Pull the key blade so the metal that you exposed earlier comes out first, then the rest should follow.
Now get your old keyblade, hold with some pliers and start heating it. As it heats up, hold the new plastic keyfob next to the blade and put gentle pressure on the blade through the pliers. As the blade heats up, the fob will soften and allow you to push the blade in. You can put one end of the tee of the blade into the hole, then carry on heating until the whole tee of your old keyblade has been accepted into the new keyfob. Try and line the blade up so that the hole for the Philips screw lines up with the hole in the new fob.

Key07.jpg

Now get the old electric switch bit from the old keyfob

Key08.jpg

If you want to renew the battery as a precaution, unclip the sides of this switch and put a new cell inside

Key09.jpg

Place the switch unit into the new keyfob

Key10.jpg

In the old fob you’ll notice a small white plastic thing in its own enclosure

Key12.jpg

Using a small screwdriver, gently persuade this bit of plastic out. Underneath there is something that looks like a dead maggot: is it a chip? Is it important? Dunno, but I slotted it into the new fob just in case.

Now snap the two halves of the new keyfob together and screw the Philips head screw into the old keyblade.

Key14.jpg

And with any luck you should now have a fully functioning key without a keyblade which flops about uselessly with black tape keeping it from falling apart. No, it might not be as pretty as a brand new key from Honda for £200, but for less than a tenner it sure beats the old disintegrating keyfob.

Key15.jpg

Check it all works, wipe the soot off with a cloth and Robert’s yer Mum’s brother!!!

Excellent write up Phil.

Out of interest, why didn't you go for a flip-key fob from eBay?

Have a little Rep pointage too ;).

Excellent write up Phil.

Out of interest, why didn't you go for a flip-key fob from eBay?
Mmm - I didn't realise this was an option - would it have been possible to fit the old key blade into one of these?

Well done Phil, I do not need this info at the moment, but really enjoyed the step by step instructions ! have no fear of my key falling to bits now lol. Good info mate :)

The one I got had the blade already attached, so you took the old one to a key maker, and then spend the next 20 minutes watch them kill their machine as the Honda metal is tough as old boots. :lol:

The handy thing is you just transfer the buttons to the new case, and still have a spare blade for the doors.

Have to admit thought that mine is looking a little the worse for wear now the little dude has chucked it around a bit. :blush:

Yep.

nice write up, just to add the maggot is the transpoder so dont go loosing it otherwise your car wont start.

The 'maggot' is indeed the transponder chip, apparently made of glass, be very careful not to break it or you are into honda for a lot of money to replace it!

I dunno how everyone elses transponder is, but mine is lodged way in. Managed to prise the plastic off but the maggot refuses to come out. Dont wanna use excessive force nor do I want to break my original key.

Any help guys?

I just carefully scratched off the goo and hooked it out. Can't remember if I used a little heat to soften the goo though ...

I didn't want to risk it so I left it. It seems lodged in and no movement. Seems a waste to break a perfectly working key. Thanks for the advice Dan.

I dunno how everyone elses transponder is, but mine is lodged way in. Managed to prise the plastic off but the maggot refuses to come out. Dont wanna use excessive force nor do I want to break my original key.

Any help guys?
Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I just got a small screwdriver and gently prised the maggot from its plastic home. It had some gunk round it which I ***ume is some glue or sealent or whatever. Anyway, it came out fairly easily - I would NOT apply heat to it if you ever want it to work again!