What's new

Replacement speakers for "Premium Sound"

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
I just replaced my doors speakers, rear and front with JVC CS-J1720X (Same as J620)

They have less bass than the stock speakers, seems like they need more volume to be on the same level (They are 4 OHM) but they are more crisper.. I have the stock sub also, but i think i want more bass from the door speakers than the JVC can deliver.

I also have Focal R-165C, but they did not fit in, as they where to thick :(, so i need to send them back..

Can anyone recomment speakers that fit and sound better with more bass, more crisp than the stock speakers without adding any amp?

Just buy some mdf spacer rings and make the focals fit. I had to do it for my vibe cven speakers as the basket wouldn't nt fit in the door. It's all sorted now and wasn't hard to do.

Jbl have great punchy mid bass but I prefered my focal cv2 speakers I had.

All the frequences which play "bass sound" will go to sub-woofer. You can buy an epic speakers in the doors, but all the bass sounds will go out through sub woofer. Those mid speakers in the doors will play only mid sound. Also higher frequencies will go out through tweeters.

You can;t do anything about that, maybe changing a amplifier to aftermarket one, but with that all the speakers also, to make a perfect sounding system.

I realized that premium audio system in honda as stock is perfectly combined, and you can change some of speakers, but you eventually will not have a better/deeper sound without changing all the system.

I had great mid/bass in my 8th gen and in my crv. I turned the sub off to test it which suprised me how deep they were. The crv was very bassy in the doors too but when I upgraded it wasnt as deep but it was a he'll of a lot more controlled and detailed. At £350 I'm glad they're better than stock! I do have a 12" sub as well as the under seat one so my stereo is quite nice now.

When buying speakers look at the sensitivity. The higher the db the louder they'll play of a head unit.

Simmkins best option is to make the focals fit as I'm sure they'll be better than the jvc ones and cost less than buying a 3rd set.

A little update..

The Focals did fit, i just had to turn them "upside down" (rotate them until they fit, the basket is very wide, so they only fit in one position).. The window BARELY touch the magnet if i take the windows in the front doors ALL the way down, but its not an issue.

They sound so much better than the JVC, im really happy with them.

In the backdoors, the window is not going near the magnet.

I'm not sure who your asking but I've done the revere camera trick by going into the service menu of the stereo and selecting the camera calibration.

I had to hold down 3 buttons on the stereo to bring it up. Back up. Menu and info I think. If you google it youll find it.

Just inside from the freezing cold trying to get the door card off to remove the stock speakers.

I have managed to remove the screws inside the handle recess (the one to open the door), the one just in front of that that was a bit more hidden to me, and also the one in the other recess where you need to lift the rubber cutout. Hope that makes sense. So in all I have removed four screws and have popped the door card off as much as I can but it still seems to be screwed in somewhere that I cannot see.

Can anyone shed any light on the last screw so I can completely take it off?

I managed to get the speaker out with it like this but would love to have it all the way off to put the new ones on!

The simple reason I want to change them is that since I have had the car I have noticed quite bad distortion especially when using the phone and listening to the radio when people are speaking. On removing the speaker you can see that the outer edge where it was once glued down has come away and there is also a crack in the cone.....the crack may have happened when I removed it but not sure. For a "Premium" sound system they are terrible but mine is a 2009 and I read elsewhere on here that honda upgraded them after this.

Cal