What's new

Replacing 7th Gen With An 8th Gen

RussellS

Members
Reaction score
Car
59 Tourer i-DTEC EX
Hi, I have been the happy owner of a 7th Gen EX tourer for the past 3 years but as I use it for company use (but privately owned) and it is 5 years old with 90,000 on the clock I now need to replace it.

So, I am now getting a used 8th Gen EX tourer. Hopefully I will be picking it up middle of next week and I can't wait. New toys to play with like parking sensors and I think it has a reversing camera as well (but not sure). I'm a little dissapointed that the callers name doesn't come up on the HFT though. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to put a dash mounted phone holder in the new car but now it looks like I will so that I can see the display to know who is calling. I will also have to transfer across my DAB radio which I fitted in my 7th Gen and wouldn't be without. When I refit this into the new car I will try to do a write up on it which a few people asked for when I did it previously but I never got around to.

Anyway, I'll update you when I get it.

Russell

Good luck bud - I might be making the move in the near future too.

Hi, I have been the happy owner of a 7th Gen EX tourer for the past 3 years but as I use it for company use (but privately owned) and it is 5 years old with 90,000 on the clock I now need to replace it.

So, I am now getting a used 8th Gen EX tourer. Hopefully I will be picking it up middle of next week and I can't wait. New toys to play with like parking sensors and I think it has a reversing camera as well (but not sure). I'm a little dissapointed that the callers name doesn't come up on the HFT though. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to put a dash mounted phone holder in the new car but now it looks like I will so that I can see the display to know who is calling. I will also have to transfer across my DAB radio which I fitted in my 7th Gen and wouldn't be without. When I refit this into the new car I will try to do a write up on it which a few people asked for when I did it previously but I never got around to.

Anyway, I'll update you when I get it.

Russell

You'll love the 8th Gen. And yes, the EX does indeed have a reverse camera :D

EX does have the reverse camera, part of the sat/nav premium system in the EX
grats and good luck!

J

Well I picked up the 59 plate 8th Gen Tourer EX today and said a sad farewell to my 7th Gen. Too early to give a honest opinion of it yet because I loved my old one so much I need to get used to this one first.

However, the equipment level is astounding. It's great being able to upload the phonebook from my Android phone to the car and be able to scroll through and search names on the sat nav screen. Much better than the HFT system on the 7th Gen. If only there was a proper caller display for incoming calls it would be perfect.

One thing that I did just find out which I wasn't expecting is that it has full iPod connectivity. I knew it has a USB connector but I thought that was just to play MP3's from a memory stick but I connected my iPod Touch and it recognised it as such and gives full control of the iPod.
The seat memory facility is great as it normally takes me ages to get the seat back where I like it after my wife has driven the car. I also love it when you put it in reverse and the rear camera turns on and the nearside door mirror tilts down to show the curb. How cool is that.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow now, I just want to play with my new toy.

Russell

Ha, glad you're loving the new car!

Always like opening a pressie on your birthday!

BTW, is yours petrol or diesel?

Ah great!

Im sure you'll love planting that right foot to the floor! :lol:

Is the dipping wingmirror when putting into reverse standard for the EX? I have the EX but does not dip the mirror, just pings on the reverse camera.

Ta

Is the dipping wingmirror when putting into reverse standard for the EX? I have the EX but does not dip the mirror, just pings on the reverse camera.

Ta

You need to have the mirror switch (on drivers door) tabbed over to the offside mirror for it to work :)

You need to have the mirror switch (on drivers door) tabbed over to the offside mirror for it to work :)

ha beat me to it.. but I've only read half the manual, now I need to change travel time to current journey not total from last reset...

RussellS, you've listed most of the things I find funky! congratulations on your new toy.. :)
oh and the sat nav will 'say' the track names as you scroll through when driving (so you don't have to look at the screen)
picks up CD text too with the right discs.

J

Hi Russell

Have you started playing with the voice commands too - that's a great toy.

Tony

Is its auto or manual
It's a manual.

One thing I noticed today is how small the load space is compared to my 7th gen tourer. I'm a service engineer and I went to load all my gear in the back that I unloaded from my old car yesterday and it wouldn't fit. The load space is both narrower and not as long.

I've driven it a bit today and the ride seems firmer than my 7th gen. Also the new car seems to jump about a bit and be more difficult to keep in a straight line whereas my old one would really smooth out the ride and you could just hold the steering wheel with your little finger and keep it in a straight line. Probably just needs getting used to though.

There are a couple of things I do need to sort out though. Firstly, I only have the tyre repair kit with this car so I am probably going to see about getting a 17" space saver kit. Does anyone know what needs to be done to the boot floor to accomodate this.

Also, I only have one key with this car so I need to sort out another. I went into my local Honda dealer today to find out the price and was shocked to find out it is £230. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper alternative. If I get a used key can the remote part be reprogrammed for my car and a new key part cut. The point is that the second key will hardly be used so it's not worth spending £230 for something that will be used only a handfull of times.

Having said all that, I am really enjoying the new car. I think that the sound quality from the sound system is better than the old one which is saying something because I always thought the old one was good. The general feel of the sat nav, the HFT and the audio system seems more integrated whereas the old one felt more like completely seperate systems bolted together but not fully integrated. I do miss the little tray under the centre armrest though.

Anyway enough rambling. if anyone has any advice on the spare wheel or the key issue I'd be very glad to hear it.

Russell

only one key would be a deal breaker, they would seriously pay you less from trading in a car with only one key so I would demand a second one or walk away unless they dropped the price by the cost of a key tbh I'd be waay to scared of losing the only key.

but if you want to roll with it.
the keys I got with my pre loved are a bit battered tbh so was looking at replacements
I found this page, http://www.ianparsons.info/hondakeypage.htm selling pre used keys, now the theory ...
(please SO get a better opinion on this than mine)
is that if you have a working key, it can be used to get the car to program a new key. (~dealer) - although on the 7G I used to know how to do it..
now I have NO idea if the cut of the metal key part is important or whether you’d still have to buy that new part…

J

only one key would be a deal breaker, they would seriously pay you less from trading in a car with only one key so I would demand a second one or walk away unless they dropped the price by the cost of a key tbh I'd be waay to scared of losing the only key.

but if you want to roll with it.
the keys I got with my pre loved are a bit battered tbh so was looking at replacements
I found this page, http://www.ianparsons.info/hondakeypage.htm selling pre used keys, now the theory ...
(please SO get a better opinion on this than mine)
is that if you have a working key, it can be used to get the car to program a new key. (~dealer) - although on the 7G I used to know how to do it..
now I have NO idea if the cut of the metal key part is important or whether you’d still have to buy that new part…

J
Yeah, I found that page as well. The No. 10 honda key is the correct one. It is just a case of whether the dealer can reprogram that key to my car.

Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the missing second key until after I'd paid for the car. I didn't even think about checking if there were two keys. So I don't really have a bargaining position.

No harm in asking the dealer to locate the original key, if they have it.

Failing that, say you were told that a second key would be supplied and that you want it - pronto!

I did speak to the dealer today and he is adament that there was only one key and they don't have another.

I'm going to call a couple of local Auto Locksmiths tomorrow who advertise that they can supply and program replacement keys and remotes including the immobiliser chips etc.

I'll also ask if I get one of these if they can reprogram it to my car and cut a new key part.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Might be an idea for you to ask them to supply you another as a goodwill gesture - at a discounted price. Considering the Accord is not a cheap car, thats the least they can do.

Just picked this thread up congratulation on your 8th gen purchase they are great cars

Might be an idea for you to ask them to supply you another as a goodwill gesture - at a discounted price. Considering the Accord is not a cheap car, thats the least they can do.
Yeah, that was my next port of call. I've tried various Auto Locksmiths and the concensus seems to be that, where the 8th gen Accord is concerned, the key will need to come from a main dealer.

I've just sent an email to the place I bought it from expressing my dissatisfaction. If only I'd known about the missing key before I parted with the cash I would have been in a much better bargaining position.

Oh well. You live & learn. I'm not letting it spoil my enjoyment of the new car.

I would also contact Honda UK, and explain you were told there would be two keys but were only given one.

Explain you'd like them to honour that with a spare key at no cost to you. Ultimately its you word against the dealers in this regard, but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, avoiding bad PR and a quick resolution, Honda UK may well agree to get you a spare key for nothing.

I would also contact Honda UK, and explain you were told there would be two keys but were only given one.

Explain you'd like them to honour that with a spare key at no cost to you. Ultimately its you word against the dealers in this regard, but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, avoiding bad PR and a quick resolution, Honda UK may well agree to get you a spare key for nothing.
As I said earlier in this thread though, the car wasn't bought from a Honda dealer. It was a used car purchased from a Skoda main dealer.

I'll let you know when I have a reply to my email.

Well, as I said earlier, I sent an email to the salesman and also copied the sales manager expressing my dissatisfaction and my opinion that two keys should be supplied especially on a car of this value and age. I also offered as a gesture of goodwill on both our parts that we could split the difference and pay half the cost of a replacement key each.

Anyway, I got an email back from the salesman Monday this week stating:
Glad the car is running well and you are happy with it.

I have forwarded the email to [the sales manager] to see what we can do. However, as a used car we can never guarantee 2 keys.

I will be in touch as soon as we have come to a conclusion.
....which didn't sound too promising.

However, yesterday I got a phone call from him saying that they have now found the missing key. If I hadn't persued it then they wouldn't have bothered looking any more for it and it would have stayed permenantly lost.

Just shows you....