What's new

replacing satnav unit

Dumbo999

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 icdti tourer
Hi to all,
This is my first post, Moderators if I've posted in wrong section my apologies and please move it to the correct one.
I have always been a civic man but after a lorry planted my type s on top of a uprooted tree(was uprooted by the car on impact) with me still in it I was devastated, wife couldn't find any similar within a reasonable price range unless they was too far gone to repair. she did eventually find my latest car 7th gen 2.2 icdti diesel accord which all my friends call the hearse. they are only jealous cause it bloody awesome its fully fitted with everything inc fully blacked out windows all around(pimp my ride style), and I only paid £800 as seller need quick sale.
Now to after loads of simple repairs to bring it back to original state I have one real big head banger and that's the radio/satnav system, why did Honda stop the updates for the maps the unit seems useless if it cant get u from a to b anymore.
Been looking for an aftermarket unit that fits nicely in and there is a few out there but omg all say don't fit diesels (is it just because of the aircon function I read on a forum some where)
this is where I'm now banging my head against a brick wall as it looks like I'm now stuck with a unit that can only play the radio or cds and look at a map from the stone age :eek:

Has anyone done any of the following that could help me out cause I love my car :wub:

1, got an after market one that works on diesels
2, got any after market unit and done something to get it to work on a diesel
3, know of a programmer that's managed to make a disc or get a disc with update maps on it to work on the original units.

please please some one help me get this awesome car that drops peoples jaws working 100%

Hi Lee,

Is it my understanding from the post is that your sat nav system is ok and working but it is either old fashioned or the maps are outdated?

If its the maps - then the updates 2016 maps are still available from Honda.

if your looking to modernized the entire system with better sat nav maps and possibility phone mirroring etc then the best way to do this would be an In-car PC.

I have seen people convert the sat nav system to a car pc using the GA-NET+ Centrafuse from Tempgp.com
Its not cheap though.

Stay away from those Chinese units. They are very poor, slow interface and generally full of bugs. i.e. crashes alot.

heres a youtube vid of the GA-NET unit. Being a car pc system expansion to it is endless i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yic0rZqTA&feature=youtu.be

Hope it helps

Hi thank you for reply yes my maps are out of date Honda could only offer me 2012 maps as they said that's the Last time my unit was updated as my discs are version 2 unless it is possible to get version 3 discs installled into unit, is that possible ???????
Will check out other option aswell
Thank you

Hi Lee,

Ahh yes, just checked on the OEM company website who supply the manufacturers with the sat nav discs and the latest on there is 2011,
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=nzMKCghB1zMAAAEuymomWYGQ&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

I am not sure if it is possible if you could swap out the sat nav unit with a face lift one so v3.xx discs can be used. Not heard anyone do that as of yet.
Someone might need to confirm whether that is possible or not.

To be honest the sat nav system in the Accord is not that great - its useful as a guide but generally i always tend to use google maps as it has live traffic updates,
I have a facelift 2006 accord and still running original 2006 maps on it - lol
I was really keen to update the maps when i first got the car but thinking about it, i dont really tend to navigate much with it.

Ok thank you,

might save up for the ga-net+ looks like the only way to go unless anyone has had it fitted and had problems

accord_n22 said:
Hi Lee,

Is it my understanding from the post is that your sat nav system is OK and working but it is either old fashioned or the maps are outdated?

If its the maps - then the updates 2016 maps are still available from Honda.

if your looking to modernised the entire system with better sat nav maps and possibility phone mirroring etc then the best way to do this would be an In-car PC.

I have seen people convert the sat nav system to a car PC using the GA-NET+ Centrafuse from Tempgp.com
Its not cheap though.

Stay away from those Chinese units. They are very poor, slow interface and generally full of bugs. i.e. crashes alot.

here's a youtube vid of the GA-NET unit. Being a car PC system expansion to it is endless i guess

Hope it helps
That looks quite interesting, but how does it incorporate with the existing displays, such as the A/C and Audio?

That looks quite interesting, but how does it incorporate with the existing displays, such as the A/C and Audio?
I think the ac and existing audio controls are stil the same and GA-net adapter works around it.
Havent used on myself and only seen a few threads here and there about it so not too clued about it.

Ok thank you,
might save up for the ga-net+ looks like the only way to go unless anyone has had it fitted and had problems
This may be another option. Saw this on another thread but again not much info on it.
It seems it is more common upgrade in america
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=26028