What's new

Replacing the timing belt etc

I think (hope) its a 50mm as I ordered the holder from amazon.com a wee while back but still to use it...

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350396425&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+crank+pulley+tool

I think (hope) its a 50mm as I ordered the holder from amazon.com a wee while back but still to use it...

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350396425&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+crank+pulley+tool

Thanks AndyB. Sorry I just I managed to double too, thanks to ***** b/band. .

Are you replacing the water pump at the same time? Would you recommend it?

The only reason I ask is that I'm replacing my timing belt soon and would rather do everything at the same time.

My local Honda dealer told me not to bother unless the bearings were feeling a bit ropey (this was the garage doing the work) so I didn't bother. Apparently its a metal impeller blade aswell and not plastic like in some manufacturers so should remain intact.

I'll be trying my own belts when it next comes round so that will be a good few years away so I might consider doing the pump then. You might want to do the thermostat (£20 or so) and coolant if you do that pump as the coolant system will be open anyway and Skhell done a good HowTo on it.

I uploaded this vid from briansmobile1 somewhere else in the forum definately worth a watch for the work you are doing.

From the reading I've done on the 6th as well as now owning my second, when changing the cam belt, it is advisable to do the water pump at the same time.

That's my recommendation anyway.

Are you replacing the water pump at the same time? Would you recommend it?

The only reason I ask is that I'm replacing my timing belt soon and would rather do everything at the same time.

No, the w/pump is not being replaced simply because of costs and I wasn't too keen on fitting a non genuine pump and currently there's no issues (leakage or play in the shaft) with the original genuine pump. Now normally I would change it but since this is a cheap car, I'd like to keep the costs to a minimum, the coolant will still changed though. I might regret not doing it, especially as I'd normally have the pump renewed, as it's generally considered good practice. What is' being replaced is the t/belt, balancer belt, idler pulley, tensioner, crankshaft oil seal (leaking) and the retro fit balancer shaft seal retaining plate (maybe there's no real need but it's only pennies from Honda, it must be one of the cheapest parts they sell!).