What's new

Resetting ECU without the need of a stereo code?

hornyhonda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CDTi
I wanted to reset the ecu on the accord without the need for the stereo code. Is this possible? alternatively is there a free or cheap way to obtain the stereo code? I believe I have to take the stereo out to get a serial number and then also make a note of the vin when ringing honda. If they want to charge me for the code its probably going to be cheaper getting an aftermarket stereo.

Basically I have an abs light on the dash and am hoping if I reset the ECU it might possibly clear the warning light. But it would be useful to have the stereo code anyhow.

Thanks

Does the stereo have a code? Didn't think it did but could be wrong

I've certainly never had a problem with my standard pre-facelift 'Sport' stereo system (or anything else on the car) needing a code after disconnecting the battery for extended periods.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'resetting the ECU' though?

I've recently had a similar issue with the ABS, engine management and traction control lights all coming on at the same time. It has no effect on the car and if I turn the ignition off and on again all the lights go out after I reach about 5 mph. They all come back on sporadically but I'm putting it down to a faulty sensor (it's just a guess but the fact the lights go off suggest it's an intermittent fault).

With your ABS light remaining constantly on I'd suggest it a fault that's needing looked at. I don't think its something that can be cleared. As far as I am aware every time the ignition is turned off for a period of time, once turned on the car carries out a check. If everything appears okay the lights turn off although the fault is stored in the ECU for future reference.

As to the radio, it doesn't have a code.

Hope things turn out okay.

7th gen don't have a stereo code but 8th gen do.

I can confirm. No stereo code needed for the 7th gen.
I have the sat nav option on my ICDTI EX and have removed and disconnected the battery countless times without any issues at all.
The sat nav unit still remembers all my phone and all postcode addresses too.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I was chasing a unicorn :) One honda dealership said they'd charge me £15 for a code and the other £10 plus they said id have to take the car to them so im pleased I asked the questions as its saved me time and money. I havent disconnected the battery yet but shall report back if I find out I do need a code.