What's new

Reverse bang (automatic)

Mikkeyb

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Exec 2.0i
Hi guys,

my car for a while has been grinding intermittently when selecting reverse on my gearbox (its a 2000 accord SE 2ltr) I've just put up with this but recently now when i reverse it makes a loud bang and the car judders... It doesn't matter if i reverse fast or slow... even to the point of creeping back and using the brake....

any ideas?...

Sounds like auto box problems.
When was the transmission oil changed last.

i actually have no idea... before i got the car tat was over a year and a half ago... not much in terms of history to go off either... can the trans fluid really cause that big of an issue? how do i check the trans fluid properly?...

It could be the fluid is low. Not sure but auto boxes have a dip stick to check the level

Just changed the fluid for piece of mind.
This will sort out most auto box problems tbo.

There has been lots of talk about transmission fluid but my personal choice would be genuine Honda fluid.

Sounds a good plan flush with cheaper fluid then drain and fill with genuin Honda fluid.

Ok guys, changed the transmission fluid. Flushed the old stuff out like he does on the video above... Used some Comma fluid that was recommended by my local motor factors (just to see if there was any improvement - then i would of done it again with Honda stuff)... And it still does the grinding in reverse and the bang / jerk while reversing :-(

Ok guys, changed the transmission fluid. Flushed the old stuff out like he does on the video above... Used some Comma fluid that was recommended by my local motor factors (just to see if there was any improvement - then i would of done it again with Honda stuff)... And it still does the grinding in reverse and the bang / jerk while reversing :-(

A fluid change will not solve such an issue. I just wish I would of noticed your dilemma beforehand to save you the cost!

Fluid changes solve most issues? Errr....no. Fluid changes wont solve burnt out clutch plates, blocked filter pickups, burnt solenoids or dodgy valve bodies. Autos are supremely complex pieces of engineering. Here is one I was working on today, and this is just half of its internals!

2013-05-24200031.jpg

OP, shoot us an e-mail at www.wexfordtransmission.ie and we will try to advise you where we can. With over 30 years experience, I'm sure we could help.

Pics like that make you realise just how complex an autobox is :eek:

Indeed! Like I said that's just half the internals! Valve Bodies are worse....Hundreds of pieces smaller than you little fingernail that have to be packaged in a specfic order in something smaller than a shoebox. Not nice! ;)

You can see valve bodies on our website. :)

Thats alot of bits. Does put into prospective what auto boxes are made up of.

Now that is very complex indeed.
The reason I said change the fluid is get to the basis 1st.
With bad oil this will not help matters at all.
With new oil you have a chance and is very cost affective also part of good service.

well sadly its not gonna be cost effective for a rebuild or a replacement... so i guess im just gonna run my car into the ground then get a new one... no more auto's for me... manual all the way...

I would never flush automatic gearbox with some other fluid than normal. As without gearbox removal you will never drain 100% of fluid from auto gearbox.
According to manual, you can drain only 2.5L of fluid(38%). Total capacity is 6.5 (is I remember correctly). a lot of fluid stays in torque converter ant it cannot be drained at all without disassemble. so with this stupid method you will get some kind of bad fluid mix. So after "flushing" with other than usual fluid will cause you to have 50% of original honda fluid and 50% of other type fluid at best.

If you wanna flush you auto gearbox change genuine honda fluid two (second time after running for few hundred kilos maybe)or more times. you will have 38% of new fluid in gearbox after first change and ~60%(if I'm counting correctly) after changing second time.

after driving for a little bit the car doesn't grind whilst putting in reverse... so the fluid has helped with that... only issue is the reversing itself... :-(...

Cant be too hard on the Accord as it is 13 years old now. If the previous owners didnt get the fluid changed at the recommended age/miles, then this is probably why its playing up now. Think Honda recommend 6 years/75k miles now. How many miles has it done?

The biggest killer of all auto's is overheating and old fluid looses its lubricating property's but still maintains hydraulic pressure so all is well until you take it for a long run and bang its knackered "cooked" however' if things are improving since fluid replacement :huh: try unplugging the front solenoids this usually solves reversing issues as a temp fix, I did this for a number of cars that wouldn't reverse at all?

See pic' ignore the filter, look for the cylinder objects with the wires coming out...

IMAG0220_zpsc3b79685.jpg