What's new

Reverse Gear Judder

Sparkerfix

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer
Hi All. Could anyone else tell me if they experience something similar to this (especially with the 180bhp iDtec engine/Type S). When reversing very slowly, no revs,just balancing the clutch,with a warm car (ok when cold), i experience judder. No problem when in first/forward. Never had a car that i could'nt balance on the clutch before (as you need to do sometimes with a narrow driveway like mine!). My local dealer says there's nothing wrong with the clutch (ok going forward-fair enough) and has put it down to engine judder at very low revs in reverse and is a "charachteristic of the car". Now quite frankly for a car of this quality I would expect no such problems at all like this. I'd just like to hear other's experiences before I take it further and indeed what should be the next step.Thanks in advance.

I've noticed this with mine. It just seems to be that the biting point is very sudden and harsh in reverse, compared with how it is in first gear. I can see how that could lead to juddering as the biting point is so different.

the line from honda is that it is due to the desighn of the engine mounts i believe. ive experianced it myself so know exactly whay you are talking about. there is nothing wrong with the clutch,flywheel or gear box. its one of those things that is put down to a charcteristic of the car.

I don't find it to be a problem at all. It was just a little quirk that I noticed soon after I bought the car. I just drop the clutch in reverse in a slightly different way than I do in first gear, to avoid the jolt.