What's new

road noise

peter.thinboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 accord
Hello all,
My biggest bugbear with my 2003 2.0 executive (which I have had for 5 1/2 years) is the amount of road noise generated by the original fitment Michelin Energy tyres-now Energy Savers.I know it's subjective (until legislation kicks in next year requiring all new tyres to label noise ratings) but does anyone have experience of a substantially quieter tyre? What was fitted as standard to the facelift 2.0 SE 15" wheels? I believe the 16" wheels on EX models had Dunlops.
Cheers
Peter

I bought my car second hand, and it had Michelin pilot sport 2s on it. The rear wheels now have pilot sport 3s (17 inch wheels mind). I don't think the road noise is excessive - I find the Accord a very quiet car...

I had Pirelli P6000 all round and they were noisy as hell. then went for P zero rosso and they were not much better despite being 130 quid a tyre.
just had Nexen N6000 tyres fitted and they are loads quieter and only cost 65 quid a corner. they are a budget from a company owned by Mitchelin so you know your not getting *****.
I'm well pleased with them. they are as good as the more expensive brands I have had and quieter.
I can't comment on all out grip because I don't enter corners at 80 and hope for the best. but if you tend to drive normaly and want a decent tyre with less road noise I can recommend these.
I don't think you will ever get the Accord silent to be honest unless you fit sound deadening as it is just not insulated well enough.
these tyres are not silent but I would say the decibels dropped by nearly half compared to the Pirellis.

I do a lot of motorway driving and the road noise nearly drove me to selling the car to be honest. these tyres do not completely solve the issue but make it more bearable. I am not going to lie to you and say they are the bees knees and will magically silence the car because they won't. at the end of the day its the car more than the tyres.

I had Pirelli P6000 all round and they were noisy as hell. then went for P zero rosso and they were not much better despite being 130 quid a tyre.
just had Nexen N6000 tyres fitted and they are loads quieter and only cost 65 quid a corner. they are a budget from a company owned by Mitchelin so you know your not getting *****.
I'm well pleased with them. they are as good as the more expensive brands I have had and quieter.
I can't comment on all out grip because I don't enter corners at 80 and hope for the best. but if you tend to drive normaly and want a decent tyre with less road noise I can recommend these.
I don't think you will ever get the Accord silent to be honest unless you fit sound deadening as it is just not insulated well enough.
these tyres are not silent but I would say the decibels dropped by nearly half compared to the Pirellis.

I do a lot of motorway driving and the road noise nearly drove me to selling the car to be honest. these tyres do not completely solve the issue but make it more bearable. I am not going to lie to you and say they are the bees knees and will magically silence the car because they won't. at the end of the day its the car more than the tyres.

Thanks for that, Neil (belatedly). I think I'll wait till next years' new tyre labelling regulations showing Db ratings kick in before choosing.
Cheers, Peter

I found the Accord to be relatively noisy once I took out the underboot storage moulding to put a spare wheel in its place (day 2 of ownership.) I still notice it, but mainly because I now don't drive it all that often. Back in the spring when I did, I got used to the noise within a few days.