What's new

Roof Bars

MikeCork

Reaction score
Car
H Accord Tourer 09
Hello all! I'm new so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. I have a 2009 8th generation Accord tourer and I just bought some roof bars to transport a kayak. The instructions with the roof bars say to check the car manual for positioning instructions. I checked the manual and it says to consult your main dealer. I rang the local Honda dealer and they didn't know either. Can anyone here tell me how I should position them correctly for even weight distribution or does it matter that much as long as they are secured tightly to the roof rails? Thanks

Hi
I have a roof box and never really worry about where the roof bars go, +- an inch either way. The rear one I place tight up to the rear of the support just above the rear door, that then dictates where the front one is but normally mid way along the sun roof. Seems to work OK for me with out any issues.

For kayaks it doesn't really matter, for roof boxes I try and fit them as far back as possible as long as they clear the rear door when it is fully open.
Tie the bow and stern back to the car if travelling any distance, there is a lot of force on a kayak at speed and without the additional ropes it can put a lot of strain on the bars in an upwards direction which is contrary to the design of the bars which are meant to carry weight downwards, add bumpy roads to that and it can be a real concern.