What's new

Running power cable through firewall

ann_kelvin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CTDI
Hi all,

I am planning to run a power cable through from the engine bay to the boot for my amplifier. Due to owning a "big fat" diesel accord there is not much visibility of the existing grommits that I can use. Luckily manage to dig out a picture of the engine bay without an engine and noticed one availble roughly in the middle. My question is, are there any other spare grommits that i can use instead of butching this one? See picture below.

I used one located just above the pedals on the drivers side.. was a ****** to pull up in the engine bay but it worked :)

Thanks for the information. What size of cable did you run it through. Is that a spare entry or just existing wiring route ?

Anyone else have any idea or suggestion? Thanks

Anyone else have any idea or suggestion? Thanks

How much power are you pulling? Could you tap off the internal cigarette lighter?

I ran 0 guage through the firewall to the boot. I used an existing grommet just opened it up a little to get the cable through

My 0 gauge runs under the car, and enters a hole drilled into the rear part of the spare wheel well. Its sealed up well to avoid corrosion etc.

The best people to ask will be javjav or type r or mustaip as im sure they have installed amps and subbs..

Hmmm, I will have a look, I used to do this type of thing often, but old age is setting in lol

I ran my 0-Gauge through the same gromet that has the wiring loom under the glove box and then continued to run the power cable along the passenger side of the car and kept the audio signal wires down the centre of the car.

I used the same one highlighted I think, It drops down behind the glove box. it's no problem to the grommet, abit fiddly getting the wires down just use a metal coat hanger to push them through on a downward angle.

Thanks for the response guys. Been away for a while. Is there any chance you guys got a pic of where the cable route from the firewall to behind the glove box? Mine is a diesel so not a very good visibility without removing parts. Just would like to plan ahead to get this done properly. Thanks in advance.

here are a few pics of where i ran my sub cable through the main bulkhead.

first off, here is where it will route through... going from inside the cabin to the engine bay is much easier than out to in!!!

remove the trim under the steering wheel and the kick pannel and then look directly above the GO pedal. there will be a big loom comming through the bulkhead.

(center of this picture)
20130717_174720_zps959fd507.jpg

looking a bit closer :
20130717_174712_zps936e1ce7.jpg

on the drivers side (obviously)
look for this cable that runs just to the right of the suspension tower:
20130717_174228_zps75ad1ebf.jpg

then closer in you can 'just' see the power cable going in to the bulk head next to the main loom going through the grommet (just on the part where it goes from light to dark)
20130717_174200_zpsb188e72c.jpg

I ran the loom back from the battery, with an inline fuse.. then back to the bulkhead, carefully cable tied it to the factory strut bar then down to the grommet.

I hope that helps :)

hope that helps Kelvin. i found it ideal to run the cable through there as i ran the power down the drivers side (and mounted the amp on the drivers side of the boot, then routed all signals down the passanger side

Nice job Adam.Done the same like yours;)