What's new

Rust! & lots of it. Where next?

AcesHigh

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type V
Well the old girl is showing her age...

I've had a slight rust bubble on the rear arch (where the screw is that holds the rear bumper to the wheel arch), I scraped out as much as possible from behind the arch and then plastered it (& both rear arches) with waxoyl.

Step forward a few months and there is a rust bubble on the front arch (again where there is a mounting screw for the plastic liner), I removed the plastic liner with the intention of painting waxoyl behind it but when I removed it I found a ton of rust behind & to the side of where the mud flap sits, on a few of the mounting points for the liner, and on a seam where part of the chassis (I think) joins the engine bay.

I wire brushed the loose stuff and then sprayed the entire arch with galvanizing spray and then coated it in waxoyl before refitting the liner. Hopefully that will stop the rust in its tracks on the arch.

But I was not impressed today to find that both front doors have got considerable rust on the diagonal frame under the rubber seal! Guess what I am going to try and fix tomorrow!

Are there any other known rust spots for the 6th gen that I need to be aware of?

I'm really getting disheartened with the car at the moment, it seems to be costing me a small fortune and giving me no end of problems :-(

Hi colin, I think it's just a case of having a good look around. You have to take into consideration that your car is getting a little old now. Also it all depends on how the car has been cared for in the past.
My sister's car is suffering from gte same problem of rust. We've had her car for over 8 years now it's starting to show the cars age. Rust on wings and arch. The other week I ubdersealed the whole of the underside.
You just have to keep caring for her mate.

Wire brush the whole lot off. Then seal it.

Also, as Shabz has said, make sure you coat the whole underside too.

I'm in two minds about undersealing the entire car as I am worried that if the slightest bit of water gets between the seal and the chassis then I am totally screwed because it will rust completely and I won't see it.

In all fairness apart from a couple of small patches on the two members that run front to back, the underside of the car is clean, I was just going to scrape the rust there and treat it.

My main worry is the parts I can't see, such as behind panels etc.

Top of the doors just before the wing mirrors. Peel back the door seal and have a look under there.

Well the old girl is showing her age...

I've had a slight rust bubble on the rear arch (where the screw is that holds the rear bumper to the wheel arch), I scraped out as much as possible from behind the arch and then plastered it (& both rear arches) with waxoyl.

Step forward a few months and there is a rust bubble on the front arch (again where there is a mounting screw for the plastic liner), I removed the plastic liner with the intention of painting waxoyl behind it but when I removed it I found a ton of rust behind & to the side of where the mud flap sits, on a few of the mounting points for the liner, and on a seam where part of the chassis (I think) joins the engine bay.

I wire brushed the loose stuff and then sprayed the entire arch with galvanizing spray and then coated it in waxoyl before refitting the liner. Hopefully that will stop the rust in its tracks on the arch.

But I was not impressed today to find that both front doors have got considerable rust on the diagonal frame under the rubber seal! Guess what I am going to try and fix tomorrow!

Are there any other known rust spots for the 6th gen that I need to be aware of?

I'm really getting disheartened with the car at the moment, it seems to be costing me a small fortune and giving me no end of problems :-(

Good shout with the pipe work, I have already wire brushed and repainted the brake lines after my father in laws lines failed due to corrosion.

Had the same problems with my old 'v' reg when I bought it, the rear arches and above the windscreen were pretty bad. The previous owner of 6 years lived right on the sea front and I think the lack of adequate rust-proofing on Japanese cars coupled with the salty sea air didn't do it any favours!