What's new

Rust!

johncbx

Members
Reaction score
Car
tourer 2.0 petrol ex
In an attempt to find cause of noise drivers side rear brake, i went to jack car up only for jacking point to fold up in a pile of rust. Looks major problem ,has anyone else had this happen and how did they solve it? regards john

Sorry to hear, what age is the car? any pictures available

Sorry to hear, what age is the car? any pictures available
Sorry no photos yet, i managed to jack the car up using jack supplied by honda placed under rear lower arm to change rear pads but i didnt fancy sticking my head or top half of my body under whilst on that jack!
Car is on a 53 plate.

The jacking points on the accord are better designed/constructed than most other vehicles i have owned...my tourers are still solid after 16 years.Trouble is they are very exposed and liable to corrosion if not protected.Only takes a couple of lifts to break any factory underseal and they will perish after a few years.At the point of contact between jack and car there is huge pressure on that area...thats where rust begins then spreads.I always grease each jacking point after each lift just to make sure they remain structurally sound...yours likely left to rot by previous owners?
Once you have new ones welded on keep them greased/oiled and be sure they bone dry so NO moisture locked in!

Last edited:
The jacking points on the accord are better designed/constructed than most other vehicles i have owned...my tourers are still solid after 16 years.Trouble is they are very exposed and liable to corrosion if not protected.Only takes a couple of lifts to break any factory underseal and they will perish after a few years.At the point of contact between jack and car there is huge pressure on that area...thats where rust begins then spreads.I always grease each jacking point after each lift just to make sure they remain structurally sound...yours likely left to rot by previous owners?
Once you have new ones welded on keep them greased/oiled and be sure they bone dry so NO moisture locked in!
When i have had it welded up and made good it will get plus the other jacking points will be treated to waxoil as will as much as i can do underneath without a ramp or pit to work from. The car as previous Accords have done have been too good at the reliability bit goes to let go to scrap as they are so good to drive , comfort plus just press any button or switch and they work.

Previous owner lived in Leeds so a fair walk to the coast from there.
Then a long shot, It might be worth looking at the previous MOT failures - if any - on the DVLA site, to check if there have been other instances of corrosion as an advisory.

When i have had it welded up and made good it will get plus the other jacking points will be treated to waxoil as will as much as i can do underneath without a ramp or pit to work from. The car as previous Accords have done have been too good at the reliability bit goes to let go to scrap as they are so good to drive , comfort plus just press any button or switch and they work.
I love my tourer and i intend to get many more years out of it.Mines an executive so fully loaded and even into its 17th year EVERYTHING works as it should.Ive put a lot of work in this year to try ensure it remains tip top for the forseable future including treating the underneath.Grim job working on your back but saves time and money down the line...little things like corroded jacking points no big deal really.
Im off down to birmingham on wednesday to pick up a fully refurbished set of the 17" factory alloys that are on my car.Thought about changing them but finding those means i keep it original....lovely matt silver powder coated finish,they'll look great.