What's new

Same error again.. and again

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
Posted some time back that the dreaded eml had come on. Got the RAC to check it, egr valve insufficient lift - car acted no differently. Advice on here was to go and see Andy at VtecDirect. Took it there and they gave it a proper degunge and all was fine for about two weeks and it came on again (let me stress here this is not about Andy/Vtec they did a stand up job and when it went again Andy asked me to bring it back)

Due to a serious back injury I have been unable to take it back. I have managed to reset the light after buying a scanner but three weeks later it came on again. The car still runs great.

My back injury is such I am on morphine and awaiting to find out if I need surgery so any long distance driving is out.

My question after rambling is will driving it make much difference to the car? It runs fine and it does take between 2-4 weeks to come back on and reports the same fault each time. Right now the light is off.

It's the 6th Gen 2.0i SE Exec.

Thanks

Rob

Sorry to hear of your back condition, hope all gets sorted soon.

In respect of the eml, just to confirm is it the same code and what code is it ?

It could affect fuel consumption and power, but the most obvious effect is the MOT it will fail, just because the light is on. Whilst you could clear it, could you count on it staying clear for the MOT,whenever it is due.

Sorry to hear of your back condition, hope all gets sorted soon.

In respect of the eml, just to confirm is it the same code and what code is it ?

It could affect fuel consumption and power, but the most obvious effect is the MOT it will fail, just because the light is on. Whilst you could clear it, could you count on it staying clear for the MOT,whenever it is due.

Yes same code each time. VTEC gave it a proper clean and it takes a couple of weeks each time to come back on. The car is predominantly used for town, stop/stsrt driving with very little motorwar driving.

Code
P1491
EGR Valve Lift Insufficient Detected

Yes same code each time. VTEC gave it a proper clean and it takes a couple of weeks each time to come back on. The car is predominantly used for town, stop/stsrt driving with very little motorwar driving.

Code
P1491
EGR Valve Lift Insufficient Detected

i would think there is a EGR flow sesnor. sounds like this mite be where the problem is. taking it out and cleaning it mite do the trick.

Why dont you attack the problem, rather than bypassing it, The EGR system isnt that expensive to sort out. If there is not enough lift then the diaphram is split. If they operate the same as 4th and 5th gens

A new one is about £60-70

Used £40ish

You can block of plate it, but the mpg will suffer a bit.

Why dont you attack the problem, rather than bypassing it, The EGR system isnt that expensive to sort out. If there is not enough lift then the diaphram is split. If they operate the same as 4th and 5th gens

A new one is about £60-70

Used £40ish

You can block of plate it, but the mpg will suffer a bit.

Where can you get a replacement EGR valve new for 60-70? I have been quoted way in excess of that.