What's new

Sat Nav - Disc?

Sit

Members
Reaction score
Car
Car-less!
A very brief question before I collect the Homda tomorrow - does te satnav use a disc to operate and where is the disc stored??

Don't wat to collect the car and find out the disc is absent or AWOL - guessing there dear from Honda?

Si

The disc s in it's reader situated above the ash tray, pull down on flap, eject button illuminated when ignition is on. On switch-on the screen will open with a "world" scene then a warning notice, followed by a WHITE OK. I f no ok then no disc, but you will be warned that there is no disc inserted. Hope this helps.

Thanks bud that's ace!! Glad I asked, in the excitement of collecting the new car I would probably have forgotten to look/check for it!!!

Si

Yep as said also check the version as it might be out of date.
This is not a problem as it will work fine but newer roads will not be on there.

Might be a silly question but how do you check the version and what would be the latest one?? Is it written on the disc or does it show up on the screen? Just so I know roughly how much do Honda charge for new discs? In the event it's not there I would look to chip the dealer the cost of the new disc so need to have a rough idea of cost.

Si

The version is wrote on the disk also the year is on there as well.
For a pre facelift the version starts with a 2 and faclift starts with 3
I wouldent worry to much as I expect most members hear are out of date as a new disk cost about £170 from dealers.

:eek: £170!!! He best hope it's in the car then lol!!! Thanks Brett, I guess as long as there is one in there then it will be fine.

Si

What year is your car again as if you haven't got one i have an older version from my old car.From memory it is a 2006 version facelift.

I draw dotted blue lines on the chart, as I traverse this "green and pleasant land", but nearly always end up on the road I wanted. LOL

If your car is a pre facelift and it dose look like then no

Si,

just keep a look out on Ebay for one.

However please keep in mind not a copy disk but an original disk, otherwise it could mess up the dvd drive

All present and correct, got me home a treat to, what a great satnav system!!!

Si

Good stuff Si glad you love the car mate

I have recently renewed my disc via www.satnavi.com and have had no problem with it. A lot cheaper than getting updated disc from Honda dealership.
:)

Was it a burned or pressed disc bud?

I think it maybe a burnt but not too sure as wouldn't really know the difference. The website doesn't state either.
:unsure:

Burned discs are normally a different colour on the underside.

Well i e-mailed www.satnavi.com asking them the reason for the low cost of the disc and if it is copied and this is the response i got;

Hi
The discs we provide are professional back ups and work in exactly the same way as the dealers discs

Www.satnavi.com

(If you like our website please help us vote on our home page)

Now you guys can make your mind up of what you think in relation to the above response!

Well i e-mailed www.satnavi.com asking them the reason for the low cost of the disc and if it is copied and this is the response i got;

Hi
The discs we provide are professional back ups and work in exactly the same way as the dealers discs

Www.satnavi.com

(If you like our website please help us vote on our home page)

Now you guys can make your mind up of what you think in relation to the above response!
Then that does sound like a copy but done to a professional standard if there genuine.Im still not convinced on these but the price is very good indeed.

As stated before I have not had a problem with the disc I purchased and since buying it I have been over to Ireland and used it there. When I originally looked at this company I was a little sceptical because I couldn't find any reviews (must admit have not put my own review on their website).
The disc is normal silver colour with the company's information on the other side.
:)

Still, sound dodgy to me. They are admitting copyright infringement.

They are selling you a backup of a licensed disk you already own. You are allowed to backup data you own, they are simply providing you with a backup service so there is no copyright infringement on their part. That's their argument anyway.

HOWEVER, if you don't own the original disk [that you have bought a backup of] then you, not they, are committing the offence of using software without owning a license to do so.

The operative phrase is "You are allowed to backup your own data". I doubt very much what they are doing is legal, but I am more interested in the quality of the disc and the propensity of our drives to die when burnt discs are used. If they are decent pressed discs, then i wouldn't worry.

Got mine today from this company, everything working fine, seems well up to date,

3.53 i think it is.....

anyone else bought one of these ? I am tempted.

Does it just update the roads ? No difference to appearance of maps ?

I got my accord on Saturday, unfortunately there was no DVD disc and the guy says he has never had one. How do I go about finding the version I need? It's for a 2003 tourer.

2.52 is the last one for your car iirc. Or was it 2.11? :oops:

Cheers dan yeah says 2.11 on the satnavi site, just having problems with stupid google check out, why not use PayPal like the rest of the world.