What's new

Sat Nav fixit ***istance/question

yoyojojo69

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Exec
As is posted a few times throughout this site by others with similar issues, my sat nav started acting up on engine start up several months ago. Error reading disk issues. It took longer and longer to work. Then my husband found a website that suggested using a ruler with a cleaning cloth. Needless to say now the unit is worse. It doesn't always eject the disc. The best advice I could find on this site was to send the DVD Rom unit to the Alpine repair company DTronix- so I called them and they confirmed for a fixed price of £179 they will fix it - parts inc, ship it back and guarantee their parts for a year. I am more than happy to pay this, but before I pull it all out, which I hope is not too difficult, and ship it to Milton Keynes, I need to be sure my model is made by Alpine. because DTronix cannot fix Mitsubishi or Panasonic Honda Sat Navs. Does anyone know where I can find out the model of my DVD Rom drive? The front is blank and i really dont want to start pulling it to pieces just yet. My car is an 03 reg 2.4l Honda Accord exec. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to TA Johanna have a look in this link its very helpful :)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/767-sat-nav-repair/

Welcome along Johanna

Here are a couple more threads, that will help you remove the drive

sat-nav-problems

This one has a link into a civic info diy on removing the whole unit, you just want to remove the drive. From the pictures you will need to remove the drive to read the label to tell you who made the drive.
fixed-my-sat-nav

Welcome to TA Johanna have a look in this link its very helpful :)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/767-sat-nav-repair/
Thanks Brett - love the doggy. This thread is where I got the idea from, however there's no comments as to whether or not those people were happy with their repair jobs. But I am willing to give it a try.
Thanks again

Welcome along Johanna

Here are a couple more threads, that will help you remove the drive

sat-nav-problems

This one has a link into a civic info diy on removing the whole unit, you just want to remove the drive. From the pictures you will need to remove the drive to read the label to tell you who made the drive.
fixed-my-sat-nav
Thanks CJM
The second link with the detailed instructions/experience, and the civic link with pictures will be very very useful. Really that will make it possible for us to do the job. So thanks so much. :D I am a bit worried though looking at the picture of the ROM drive he pulls out - it looks just like mine, but the model number begins with HE, and the lady at DTronix(Alpine) said they can only fix Alpine and those model numbers begin with BN. I really need to find a way to make sure of my model type before going through all that, because if we get it out and it's not an Alpine - we have nowhere else to send it. :eek: So I think I need to do some more digging

hi
I had the same issue and basically Alpine said it needed to be refurbished at a cost of around £200 or so. Myself and another member on here decided to take it apart and in the end it was the DVD lens that was dirty. Little bit of cleaner on a cotton bud fixed it. However I did have to dismantle the dvd player to get it and it was a real pain remembering how some things went back together.

I also had a disc read error.

hi
I had the same issue and basically Alpine said it needed to be refurbished at a cost of around £200 or so. Myself and another member on here decided to take it apart and in the end it was the DVD lens that was dirty. Little bit of cleaner on a cotton bud fixed it. However I did have to dismantle the dvd player to get it and it was a real pain remembering how some things went back together.

I also had a disc read error.
Thanks, I think that was our issue originally, but later it wouldn't even spin. Now we can hardly get discs in or out. :huh:

Wrong section guys, this is for DIY instructions and reviews. Moved to faults

Wrong section guys, this is for DIY instructions and reviews. Moved to faults
Apologies. I was looking for instructions - and did get some. Which will be very helpful, and my biggest issue has been resolved. I was just asking for advice now on how to find out the make of my unit. So now I should post that question in Faults?

Don't worry about it, it can be confusing sometimes. We've tried to keep the forum structure simple, but its not always easy to know where to post stuff.

The general rule around the DIY/Review's section is that it's there for members to post reviews on products/modifications they've used/tested and for any DIY guides.

Don't worry about it, it can be confusing sometimes. We've tried to keep the forum structure simple, but its not always easy to know where to post stuff.

The general rule around the DIY/Review's section is that it's there for members to post reviews on products/modifications they've used/tested and for any DIY guides.
Okeedokee. Got it. Thanks again to everyone for their help. I will update with results, but it will take us a while, we aren't that techy
:D