What's new

Sat Nav Only Works after a while

marculos2

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.4
Hi, can anyone explain the technical reason why my sat nav only works after day 20 minutes. I get disk read errors as soon as I start the car. Then if I take the disk out after 20 mins and put it back in it works albeit a bit slow before the OK button displays. Just curious why this happens and if its fixable as its quite annoying ? Thanks

I had the same thing on mine, I found that taking it out and rubbing it against my shirt got it going again it only happened on cold mornings so maybe like me it needed a cuddle to get it going. Have you tried the knife and tissue treatment in the disc player? That helped as well. Lots of info on here just "search"

my shirt would make it even more dirty LOL

you can wash DVD's under the tap with a drop of washing-up liquid, and dry them with kitchen-roll or loo-roll

if that doesn't help then the laser needs cleaning, you can sometimes do it as described above

freddofrog said:

you can wash DVD's under the tap with a drop of washing-up liquid, and dry them with kitchen-roll or loo-roll

if that doesn't help then the laser needs cleaning, you can sometimes do it as described above

I do not tow a caravan so no running water in the car!! LOL

I had this a few times on my Accord in my ownership. I would just clean the lens and it would be fine for another 1.5 years. To clean the lens you do have to take the unit out and apart.

I have tried the ruler and wipe method and made no difference. So I guess clean the lens and if that doesnt work it will need repairing. Thanks for your help peeps.

edgeoftime said:

I do not tow a caravan so no running water in the car!! LOL
try this instead LOL

a.baa-design-of-the-toilet-in-the-.jpg

TypeR said:
I had this a few times on my Accord in my ownership. I would just clean the lens and it would be fine for another 1.5 years. To clean the lens you do have to take the unit out and apart.

marculos2 said:
I have tried the ruler and wipe method and made no difference. So I guess clean the lens and if that doesnt work it will need repairing. Thanks for your help peeps.
there's a thread on TA somewhere on how to remove the DVD player and clean the lens, but I can't find it