What's new

Sat Nav Problems

robbo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 exec
I have had an intermitant problem now for a couple of weeks.
My unhelpful Honda dealer has quoted me £4000 to replace my DVD rom for my sat nav unit.
They reckon that the gps chip is on its way out and I need to replace it, hence the quote.
Alpine want around £200 to have a look and refurbish the dvd rom, so I need to know how to get it out.
Does anyone know how to remove the dvd. or where I can get a second hand unit
The dealer says they are like rocking horse **** .

from memory you have to pull up the gear lever surround, undo the astray bolts, you'll then see a couple bolts at the bottom of the dvd surround and the top iirc is held in by clips. Have you tried a cd cleaner, i doubt the GPS CHIP is on its way and i'm sure all that is done in the h/u anyway. A few rom's come up on ebay or try a breaker plenty about, what problems you having with it?

There is a thread in the DIY section that explains how to take the sat nav out i think its under reversing camera.
Im pretty sure as a new member you need a few more posts up to view it so get posting and all will be reviled.

from memory you have to pull up the gear lever surround, undo the astray bolts, you'll then see a couple bolts at the bottom of the dvd surround and the top iirc is held in by clips. Have you tried a cd cleaner, i doubt the GPS CHIP is on its way and i'm sure all that is done in the h/u anyway. A few rom's come up on ebay or try a breaker plenty about, what problems you having with it?
At start up It says unable to read disc, then after about 30 minutes it comes on, however then the map says I am somewhere in the irish see or somewhere down south, when I am on the M62 travelling to and from Manchester.
Tried cd cleaner but that has never worked. I have tried resetting the whole thing and force download but no matter what I do it is always the same.

Think we should name and shame? Plenty of members in the Manchester area who need to avoid this type of dealer.

Martyn send it to Alpine to get the laser replaced they will replace the laser and do a full diagnostics on the system.

That dealer you been to.. sure does know who to build relationship with customer, first scare them , then give them inflated prices which are false and not required. makes me angry to see such comments. No wonder these dealer are sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

For a second opinion go to our favourite dealer HH for a free proper ***essment
Thanks for your help. I was intending to send it to Alpine first but I need to know how to get it out!! to enable me to send it off.

Think we should name and shame? Plenty of members in the Manchester area who need to avoid this type of dealer.

Didn't think we had many Honda dealers left in Manchester, both the ones nearest to us have changed over to Kia and something else.

So just to let us know where we can get the odd emergency filter from would be nice also !

Are you able to try a different disc as that was my problem a couple of years ago, our local main dealers were all for the replace everything approach but just 60 quid later for a 2nd hand disc it was working to it's usual vauge self of navigating you somewhere almost close to your destination :)

Hi Martyn, I had the same problem recently. To take out the drive you have to firstly remove the gear lever surround which simply is held by clips and unplug the switches. Then take out the ashtray and any attached screws. The fascia around the DVD drive is a bit tricky to remove but is only held by clips and 3 screws. It is really tight to remove, so tug it gently. Once that's out of the way, you can clearly access the drive.
I sent mine to Alpine and got it back a week later. It's faster now than when I first bought the car. PM me if you need any further info.

Didn't think we had many Honda dealers left in Manchester, both the ones nearest to us have changed over to Kia and something else.

So just to let us know where we can get the odd emergency filter from would be nice also !
Penine Honda, there is one in Rochdale just off the M62, and they have another dealership in Ashton town centre.

Are you able to try a different disc as that was my problem a couple of years ago, our local main dealers were all for the replace everything approach but just 60 quid later for a 2nd hand disc it was working to it's usual vauge self of navigating you somewhere almost close to your destination :(
I definately know it is not the disc, The GPS signal on the map does not turn Green.

Well if you are handy with the tools and have loads of patience you can remove the head unit yourself and sent it to Alpine, or you can go to HH and they will do it for you as a club member at a nominal rate.

the laser replacement is roughly around the 200 mark, with vat increase this would slightly more now.
Is it really the laser within the DVD, I am not getting a GPS signal? PS Where is HH

Are you sure that the laser lens isn't just dirty.

I've had this problem and followed another forum member's instructions to use a lint-free cloth (camera lens cleaner) wrapped securely round a thin-bladed knife and soaked in Isopropanol. Insert the knife gently through the Satrnav dvd slot and move carefully from side-to side.

It worked like magic for me at minimal cost.

I had same issue - DVD error - but turns out DVD is not even spinning (after I removed unit and checked).

Bought a tomtom instead!

Is the dvd drive that special?

From the front it looks like pretty much any other PATA drive from a pc.

Have a look at this wiki from civinfo:

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord

It is a user guide for fitting the Xcarlink MP3 adapter but it has photos and instructions how to remove the entire unit including the DVD drive.

Martyn, I've fixed my own about 3 times in 2yrs of ownership. Its just a dirty laser lens and should cost pennies for some cotton buds and some lens cleaning fluid.

Take out the unit ( ensure disc is ejected ) and then open up the DVD top cover, Then four screws to remove the core unit out of the centre ( no need to detach interface ribbon, leave it connected ), you only need to be able to tilt it up a bit at the back to get a cotton bud in.

Shine a torch through the top of the core unit and you will see the lens twinkling like a little gem. Basically once you've spotted it, put some lens cleaner on a cotton bud and poke it through one of the holes in the back of the casing and guide it through to the lens.....easy!!

BTW I'm in Rochdale, though never set foot in Pennine Honda stealers :lol:
Thanks for the information will try that. problem is getting round to it as I work stupid hours. Cleaning the lens then will that make the GPS thingy work???

Are you sure that the laser lens isn't just dirty.

I've had this problem and followed another forum member's instructions to use a lint-free cloth (camera lens cleaner) wrapped securely round a thin-bladed knife and soaked in Isopropanol. Insert the knife gently through the Satrnav dvd slot and move carefully from side-to side.

It worked like magic for me at minimal cost.
I have tried this. Although the disc becomes readable for a short while the GPS signal is not there.

Have a look at this wiki from civinfo:

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord

It is a user guide for fitting the Xcarlink MP3 adapter but it has photos and instructions how to remove the entire unit including the DVD drive.
Thanks you the link and instructions look great.

Martyn, I've fixed my own about 3 times in 2yrs of ownership. Its just a dirty laser lens and should cost pennies for some cotton buds and some lens cleaning fluid.

Take out the unit ( ensure disc is ejected ) and then open up the DVD top cover, Then four screws to remove the core unit out of the centre ( no need to detach interface ribbon, leave it connected ), you only need to be able to tilt it up a bit at the back to get a cotton bud in.

Shine a torch through the top of the core unit and you will see the lens twinkling like a little gem. Basically once you've spotted it, put some lens cleaner on a cotton bud and poke it through one of the holes in the back of the casing and guide it through to the lens.....easy!!

Thanks for the info. Does cleaning the lens make the GPS signal work????????

It might be worth checking the antenna underneath the display screen at the top of the dash-its unlikely but something maybe blocking it. Also, it might be worth trying to manually adjust the time if this is incorrect?!

It might be worth checking the antenna underneath the display screen at the top of the dash-its unlikely but something maybe blocking it. Also, it might be worth trying to manually adjust the time if this is incorrect?!
Sorry for the late reply, Yes I have plugged in the 3 wires but still no joy. Although have not tried the the other end of the antenae that plugs into the screen. The antenae is the single lead with the foamy stuff covering the wires?
What does the other end look like.

Sorry for the late reply, Yes I have plugged in the 3 wires but still no joy. Although have not tried the the other end of the antenae that plugs into the screen. The antenae is the single lead with the foamy stuff covering the wires?
What does the other end look like.
Well All appears to be working again now.
Took out the dvd rom gave it a very good clean, took out the gps antenae, made sure that the connecting wires where sound and attached properly.
replaced them all in reverse order and funnily had no screws left.
Thanks for the link (x link instructions).
Reset the gps and it is working fine for the moment.
I most probably have to get a new cd disc mine is ver 2.06, but again my favorite honda dealer wants £200 probably go to ebay unless any of you know where to get one?

Thanks again to you all for the great advice.

Glad it is all working! You do know that if there are no screws left - then you have done it all wring. Now go outside and start again. You should have one small screw and a mysterious clip that you don't remember taking out left. Place these in a convenient money bag for a later date when you are bored.

I too have an intermittent Sat Nav problem. It was fine until my Tourer Exec jumped a cog on the timing in February (120k miles). Then 5 weeks and £2k later, after the top end was rebuilt, the touch screen was not booting up, though it might suddenly come on while I was driving after anything between 10-50 miles - but not always! Over the next 2 months the main dealer in Leeds, who did the rebuild, checked the car several times due to the Engine Management and VSA warnings being on as much as off, before asking me to leave it overnight. This time they offered a courtesy car - just over 2 weeks later I picked up the Accord and even though they had swapped the computer with one on loan from Honda UKHQ (and back again,) they stated that they had no idea what's causing the fault, but it had nothing to do with the work they'd done. They did manage to solve the EM and VSA issue though. This is a 2003 model, and I've been it's owner since 2004 without any hitch to the electrics. One thing I've got used to over the last few months is that I no longer pause with the ignition key. That is, if I partly turn the key so that the radio and Sat Nav comes on and then I start the engine, this causes the radio to momentarily cut out and the Sat Nav (or computer) to crash. Re-starting the car does nothing - but if I turn the ignition off for 3-4 minutes and then re-start, it usually boots up the touch screen & sat nav. Because the touch screen controls speakers, radio-presets, clock, etc. etc. this is more than a pure Sat Nav issue. Now that I have noted this technique it may help someone. For some reason, I believe the capacitors are not discharging properly unless I wait 3-4 mins, and this is somehow preventing a clean boot-up - the main dealer ***ures me that it is not an earthing problem. Any suggestions?

At start up It says unable to read disc, then after about 30 minutes it comes on, however then the map says I am somewhere in the irish see or somewhere down south, when I am on the M62 travelling to and from Manchester.
Tried cd cleaner but that has never worked. I have tried resetting the whole thing and force download but no matter what I do it is always the same.