What's new

sat nav screen conversion to run dvd's

russty

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen Tourer Ex
I have been told that the sat nav screen can be modified fairly simply to run dvd's on it. Now my 3 yr warrenty has expired, I am looking to carry out the mod, does anybody know how it's done?

Xcarlink..... simples.... although, not sure if the 8th Gen is compatible, so drop them a line....

Welcome to TA - post a little hello in the newbies section.

What is this xcarlink thing anyway? I've tried searching but everything that comes up is install guides ***uming you know what the thing is in the first place!! Any 'this is what xcarlinks can be used for' threads?

Only on their website :rolleyes:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=3

รข chroeso :D

Looks like they do one for the 08 onwards too. Result!

Yep.. posted it into Russ' intro link...

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=149&cat=3&page=1

will this part work for the standard sat nav (which i'm guessing is the Alpine RG843R 2R21) for the
07 accords?

Probably, try emailing them with your details, we also have a discount code with them.

Aah I thought we were talking about converting the DVD-ROM for the SatNav to play DVD videos somehow.

Xcarlink..... simples.... although, not sure if the 8th Gen is compatible, so drop them a line....

Seems it is compatible -

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=160&cat=3&page=1

Might try this as well - but have to wait for the warranty to wave farewell first!

very interesting ill have to wait two years for this mod

Aah I thought we were talking about converting the DVD-ROM for the SatNav to play DVD videos somehow.
You are right Trev, I was meaning to convert the DVD-ROM for the SatNav to play DVD's , I must aplogies to Dan but thank him for his efforts, but having read the blurb from xcarlink a second time and fully absorbed what it was saying, this is not what I am looking for (external DVD connection to the screen), I want to convert the original DVD-ROM of the SatNav to play DVD's. So I put the question again to you guys out there, How do I convert the current SatNav DVD-ROM unit which is located in the boot of the car to accept standard DVD's while still having the SatNav function available?

Isn't your DVD ROM under the SatNav screen? I think you have to replace the drive but I don't know anything about DVD drives really, maybe it can read DVD videos? Obviously the SatNav won't work at the same time as watching a DVD but would be good if you could make it work.

Isn't your DVD ROM under the SatNav screen? I think you have to replace the drive but I don't know anything about DVD drives really, maybe it can read DVD videos? Obviously the SatNav won't work at the same time as watching a DVD but would be good if you could make it work.
It,s the CD unit thats sits below the SatNav screen and radio. The SatNav DVD-ROM unit is totally seperate and located in the boot under the false floor of the tourer.

It,s the CD unit thats sits below the SatNav screen and radio. The SatNav DVD-ROM unit is totally seperate and located in the boot under the false floor of the tourer.
The DVD ROM sits under the SAT NAV screen in the 7th gen

AFAIK it can't be done.

Have looked into converting the boot DVD myself and at this moment you need too fit a separate player