What's new

sat nav system install

mohammed

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
accord icdti
Right, since own the car the only thing thats makes me feel jealous about other accords is that mine is missing a sat nav :( :( :( , soooooo.....i have been keeping my watchfull eye on threads about satnavs etc. i know after a bit of fiddiling around with system it can made to watch dvd(and even a used as just a screen???im guessing) but since my car does not come with a stanav is it possiable to install one in the dash by taking out the oem stereo...i know there is system which came up on t.a a while back from a foreign ebay/auction site for the satnav but im after the oem system....this i beleve would really finish off the dash befoRE MAYBE(BIG MAYBE)wrap the dash in suade....so please guys if you can shed some light on the matter it will be extremely appriciated...thanks guys.

It's a real big big job to retrofit the factory system into your car. Your best bet is either:
1) A standalone Satnav ( Tom Tom or Garmin), which are better than the factory unit.
2) The unit that you mentioned on ebay.
3) Install a normal size head unit in the vacant pocket in the dash. Buy a unit with Bluetooth and use the Navigation app on a Smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S.
When driving my wifes Accord Coupe, I use option 3. It's just as good as the factory unit in my 2003 Accord Executive!

I would go with Rays option 3 too, thats what I ended up doing- but through a single din with Bluetooth/iphone connectivity. A double din with nav would look cool and I think a few guys on TA have this set up. Ray, have you got any pics of your set up?
smile.gif

It's a real big big job to retrofit the factory system into your car. Your best bet is either:
1) A standalone Satnav ( Tom Tom or Garmin), which are better than the factory unit.
2) The unit that you mentioned on ebay.
3) Install a normal size head unit in the vacant pocket in the dash. Buy a unit with Bluetooth and use the Navigation app on a Smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S.
When driving my wifes Accord Coupe, I use option 3. It's just as good as the factory unit in my 2003 Accord Executive!

It's not worth the effort, believe me. I have the factory satnav and it is rubbish, I normally use a stand-alone tomtom instead of it. If I knew this when I bought my car, I would have looked for one without satnav, it just makes me angry every time I look at this worthless screen in the middle of my dash...

hmm ok guys..i appriciate your honest opinions.. i measn rather than just istalling the satnav system, can i not install a screen where the oem stero is by takin g that system out, i know its got the buttons attached to the system surround so will it work....its just the screen would be ideal where oem stero screen is...

like said it is a big job you need a wiring loom from a donor car and start ripping that apart

another option is a Carputer if you're any good with computers have a look here http://www.mp3car.com/ and have a long long read on their forums

I think you can by using a double din fascia adaptor similar to this single din one (if you can find it): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Metra-99-7864-Honda-Accord-2003-2007-Dash-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2559e54334QQitemZ160421987124QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_2480wt_1165. I think the best and cheapest route to achieve what you're looking for is definitely this option:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Accord-03-06-Double-Din-Radio-Kit-Harness-/380284666920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588abb8428#ht_1949wt_905. Dunno, what you think
huh.gif

Thanks for the links mutsaip,I checked out the links before buddy,but I was trying to get the screen on top in middle of dash as this woud be ideal for eye level rather than looking down at the bottom...