What's new

seam sealant in boot

tarmac terror

Members
Reaction score
Car
Impreza
Guys, I recently bought an 06 accord from a dealer, I have noticed a lot of seam sealant in the boot which has not been overpainted. I have removed some other trim panels to determine if seam sealant is over painted at the factory, which it is where the floor pan meets the sills.

Could someone who has owned a 7th gen accord from new have a look at their boot and compare it with the pics below please.

I thought this car was perfect when I bought it, having started to detail it, I have picked up on a few clues that indicate at least one rear quarter panel has been painted, if this was for cosmetic reasons I wouldn't be too worried, but combined with the amount of seam selant in the boot, I wonder if the car is a bit less straight that portrayed by the sales manager.

What confuses me is the interior of the boot has been painted, the sealant has been applied over paint. Maybe this could have been done to cure a leak, but why so much of it required? If this was done as part of an accident repair, isn;t it a bit of a schoolboy error to paint the inside of the boot and miss the sealant? The other thing that may not be immediately apparent in the photos, is the sealant has not been smoothed out in any way, it is quite rippled in places.

Really need your help with this one guys, I am on the verge of rejecting this car back to the dealer.

near side rear
DSCN1033.jpg

offside rear
DSCN1035.jpg

inside the offside rear quarter panel (this one has been painted but the other hasn't yet it is the exact same).
DSCN1036.jpg

With the seat backs down looking into the boot space - look at the state of the cabling install for the parking sensors - done by the dealer before collection last week!!!
DSCN1038.jpg

Panels are joined like this all round, could a body shop achieve this sort of result? this is the rear strut top inside the boot.
DSCN1043.jpg

Closeup of the finish
DSCN1048.jpg

Dave from memory of my 7th gen this is normal and done in the build of your car.Someone will also confirm this.

Yes,it's normal.Mine the same,don't worry;)

Thanks for the replies fellas - how stupid do I feel. I wonder why they don't smooth this down or overpaint it from the factory. There is so much attention to detail in other areas, this kinda lets it down a little - but good thing is, it is nothing to worry about. Will clean the carpet while it is out, then put it all together replacing the broken fasteners and tidy up the parking sensor wiring.

Thanks for the replies fellas - how stupid do I feel. I wonder why they don't smooth this down or overpaint it from the factory. There is so much attention to detail in other areas, this kinda lets it down a little - but good thing is, it is nothing to worry about. Will clean the carpet while it is out, then put it all together replacing the broken fasteners and tidy up the parking sensor wiring.

To be fair mate not a lot of people take the carpet out of the boot. :lol:

Its the same reason manufacturers don't lacquer the paint under the bonnet and boot etc. Saves money and is not seen.

Also to add to this surly if the sealant was painted wouldn't it break down after a very short time.