What's new

seat belt not retracting as it should

JAPIMPORT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 ACCORD SE
hi :) as im going through my list of bits to do on the accord ive being noticing my seat belts not retracting as it should be,sometimes i have to put it in manually,has anyone had this problem with there seat belts in there car, and how did you fix it thanks :)

Hi mate, both my front belts are the same. gonna take them apart tomorrow and try a few ways to fix. if all go's well ill let ya know what i did lol ;)

My drivers sometimes does this but i think its catching on something therefore stopping it retracting proberly..

TonyK7ng87 said:
Hi mate, both my front belts are the same. gonna take them apart tomorrow and try a few ways to fix. if all go's well ill let ya know what i did lol ;)
hi tony that would be great,any help will be great :)

simorfc said:
My drivers sometimes does this but i think its catching on something therefore stopping it retracting proberly..
hi simon :) sometimes my seatbelt doesnt retract at all,im thinking maybe the spring could be getting stuck hopefully if tony fixs his seat belt its and its easy fix,ive seen on another site that supposibly honda have a life time warranty on there seatbelts,and if you drive in to honda they will replace it,but that was on an american site but im not sure of uk and ireland

Mine was the same as urs mate.

Took the plastic trim off thats next to the seat.

I mixed a small amount of washing up liquid and hot water and cleaned the seat belt.
I pulled the best out as far as it can go and kept washing with the solution and a microfibre cloth.

Also behind the trim is a plastic guide type thing i washed that and the top runner too.

The belt works a treat now mate ;)

thanks tony :) ill give that a try during the weekend, ill keep yous posted thanks again

just a tip grease the mechanism or lubricate the visible areas already greased it just congeals with age "WARNING" when removing trim or dismantling the seat belt mechanism be very very careful :unsure: most of them will contain explosives and it can easily take your eye out or worse :eek:

PMSL :)
Theres no need to remove the belt just pull the lower trim out/off so u can gain access to the whole belt ect lol

ok ive cleaned my seatbelts,i have taken of the trim and it was full of fluff dirt etc, so ive cleaned that out and it is better already,but im not sure how fast it should retract,mine is slow to retract should it be faster,i have nct/mot comming up so im trying to give no reasons to fail the car

TonyK7ng87 said:
PMSL :)
Theres no need to remove the belt just pull the lower trim out/off so u can gain access to the whole belt ect lol
yeah i know, just a warning if anybody's to rough with cleaning it, even left bolted in they can go off :blink:

JAPIMPORT said:
ok ive cleaned my seatbelts,i have taken of the trim and it was full of fluff dirt etc, so ive cleaned that out and it is better already,but im not sure how fast it should retract,mine is slow to retract should it be faster,i have nct/mot comming up so im trying to give no reasons to fail the car
In an ideal world it should fully retract within 5 seconds, but on MOT's they seem to be more interested in how secure it is really

if u pull the belt out all the way then let it go it should shoot back in.

mine shoots back in till it hits the seat then either stops or retracts very slowly. Alot of it is down to the style of the seat at the seat can catch the belt ;)

Guess mine needs a clean, its a bit slow retracting to be honest.

Is the trim just clipped on?

TonyK7ng87 said:
if u pull the belt out all the way then let it go it should shoot back in.

mine shoots back in till it hits the seat then either stops or retracts very slowly. Alot of it is down to the style of the seat at the seat can catch the belt ;)
hi tony :) well my seat belt does not shoot back,so there must be something wrong with the spring in the seat belt mechanism or some thing,ive seen wires going in to the seat belt mechanism i was going to take it of and open it and see whats going on,but i seen warning sticker on it,so i not to sure now,even what stuart was saying about it exploding off :unsure: ill have another look at it tommorow

AndyB1976 said:
Guess mine needs a clean, its a bit slow retracting to be honest.

Is the trim just clipped on?
hi andy :) its just clipped on you just put something behind it and pop it off it comes of handy enough,and pop it off from under the car door kick plate

hughezee said:
just a tip grease the mechanism or lubricate the visible areas already greased it just congeals with age "WARNING" when removing trim or dismantling the seat belt mechanism be very very careful :unsure: most of them will contain explosives and it can easily take your eye out or worse :eek:
thanks stuart :) for the tip,i noticed the warning sticker,and didnt fancy doing more damage to it, im going to find more info to see what i can do to fix it

if u disconnect the battery, then unplug the cable then remove it you will be fine.
Do u know how to rewind/tension the belt?

JAPIMPORT said:
hi andy :) its just clipped on you just put something behind it and pop it off it comes of handy enough,and pop it off from under the car door kick plate
Cheers I'll have a look. Mine does retract but it needs some encouragement, although its been that way for a while and never been noted on the MOT.

TonyK7ng87 said:
if u disconnect the battery, then unplug the cable then remove it you will be fine.
Do u know how to rewind/tension the belt?
hi andy :) to be honest with you i dont know how to rewind/tension the belt,ive never messed with seat belts until now,thats why im being cautious,normally id just take it out and fix it, but seeing the wires going in to it and stuart saying about explosions and the warning sticker on it i knew i needed to find out more info about it,would you know how to do it yourself

Didn't mean to scare you m8y :mellow: as these devices get older they become more sensitive and disconnecting them will not stop them from exploding either as silly as it sounds. I've removed & replaced loads of units and one or two have gone off for no apparent reason :eek: but I've always been prepared. French cars are terrible for it, one of my m8's worked at such a dealership and they would go off just jacking up the car :wacko: and you thought powered gloves made a mess :lol:

Absolutely spot on Tony... I used to work on systems with very similar explosive squibs. They can be very sensitive to static, and this becomes more of a problem when they are disconnected. Be careful!

TonyK7ng87 said:
haha, thats cos ur full of static Hugh ;) lol
Point me in the direction of static free person or car, come on Tony really :lol: it was only a warning of the dangers, it’s a dangerous object to be messing with plain an simple, I have nothing left to say?

LOL when ever i remove seatbelts completely ect i use anti static wipes on my hands and arms. i also wipe the unit down before i remove it. Simple job, just take common sense :)

I would urge others to take proper anti-static precautions, involving device and personal earthing straps.

And do not bring a mobile phone nearby while the device is unplugged.