What's new

Seat Belt Warranty

Zerotonine

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 iCDTi
Good afternoon

Sorry I haven't posted in here for quite some time, my Accord 2.0 SE is still going strong, and apart from it's thirst I am loving it's VTEC goodness! Quick question though. The NSR seat belt has a fault, where if there is someone sat in it, if they move forward the inertia lock kicks in, and if they move back the belt retracts too but the inertia lock stays engaged. The only way to free it is if it is undone. Now I have looked it up on google etc and there are a lot of posts (America based) saying that Honda have a lifetime warranty on seatbelts, and if they are faulty, regardless of age, as long as a dog/child/whatever hasn't caused any damage they will replace it free of charge. I have seen people comment that this is a global warranty, but my main stealer denies all knowledge of it's existence. So, I ask the great font of knowledge that is typeaccord, what is the deal? Does this fabled warranty exist? If so, any proof of it's existence? Just so i have something to hit the dealer with.
Next port of call will be Honda themselves. It isn't that I want to get a free lunch or anything, I just object to paying if it can be done for free...

Just been searching and there is a lot documented on the Internet about the warranty but majority seems to be in the US. Fingers crossed for you.

I have contacted Honda through their main website. I will let people know of the result, if anyone else has had any experience with this I would like to know.

It does the same on our 6th Gen also.

Would be interesting to know, don't recall it being mentioned on here before (famous last words)

I thought it was just me. I was about to go and buy a new seatbelt this week. Will hold off now to see what happens.

Hey guys.

Now that I know that it is not just me I have sent a mail to Honda Ireland to see what the situation is this side of the pond so we will know if Honda Ireland and Honda UK will sort this. Will keep you updated.

seems there is lots of people intrested in this :)

I bought leather seats and the rear did as you all say above, so I had a wee look at the mechanism that does the seat belts and they are fitted with a gyro that engages when the mechanism isn't sitting straght i.e. if the car flips over or rolls the seat belts lock! Clover honda :)

looking at mine there seemed to be alot of dust and dirt in side it.

A quick blast with the air hose cleaned it out. not caused me any problems since. hope this helps, but would love to know if honda do lifetime warrenty on seat belts :wub: has any1 looked in the oweners manual?

Are you sure you haven't just engaged the Child Seat Locking Mechanism?

On my 6th Gen ATR, if you pull the belt out fully, you engage the child seat locking mechanism, which locks the belt as the op has described.

You can deactivate it by fully retracting the seat belt. There were originally labels on the belts (although i suspect most people have cut them off as they go tatty) and it is also detailed in your owner's handbook.

Check this first as it may save you an embarrassing trip to Honda if it is the Child Seat Locking Mechanism.

Are you sure you haven't just engaged the Child Seat Locking Mechanism?

On my 6th Gen ATR, if you pull the belt out fully, you engage the child seat locking mechanism, which locks the belt as the op has described.

You can deactivate it by fully retracting the seat belt. There were originally labels on the belts (although i suspect most people have cut them off as they go tatty) and it is also detailed in your owner's handbook.

Check this first as it may save you an embarrassing trip to Honda if it is the Child Seat Locking Mechanism.

Hey Shiny,

Thanks for that. I really feel like a ****. One of the things I live by is "When all else fails read the instructions" Really should take my own advice.

Thanks again sir.

Although in saying that the seatbelts could do with being a little bit longer so that this does not happen when you are just sitting forward. Any reason to complain and justify my stupidity :blush:

Has fully retracting then solved your problem?

Fully retracting always solved the problem and all of us noticed this. the issue was why it was locking in the first place especially of people were sitting forward in the seat. your comment prompted me to test my car and then look at the manual as you suggested. which answered my question as to if the seatbelt was defective or not. Of course if I had read the manual in the first place I had no reason to worry. My car is going in for its NCT this week, irish version of MOT, and I was afraid it would fail because of this. So I was going to buy a new seat belt. It has saved me a small fortune

I cant speak for anybody else commenting above, just for myself.

Again thanks man
Andy

Well Honda got back informing me of what shiny has enlightened us to. Even attached a PDF of the page in the manual. Where were you yesterday shiny:)

Sorry for the lack of response, been busy...
Honda UK Official reply:

Thank you for contacting Honda.

Honda UK do not participate in any lifetime warranties for any of its vehicles all faults are looked at as a case by case basis by our dealer network and claims can be submitted

All Honda vehicles have a 3 year or 90000 mile warranty as standard from the date of first registration.

If you are experiencing an issue we would recommend that you have an inspection at your local dealer so they can confirm the route cause of the fault.

So UK doesn't get it apparently.

But I will look at this child safety lock business! That is hopefully the problem as Honda want £275.22 to replace it!

*Just checked... It is that what is causing the issue. Because the youngest is 4 and now fastens her own seatbelt she pulls the whole belt out for some strange reason. She is activating that child lock mechanism. Glad I haven't had to spend all that money on it if it isn't faulty, and helped a lot of people out in the process!) Oh and my car still has the tags in situ!*

Interestingly - from the 7th Gen American owner's manual:

a seat belt that fails to function properly is covered for the useful life of the vehicle.

Then, further along:

Restrictions and exclusions apply to
all these warranties. Please read the
2006 Honda Warranty Information
booklet that came with your vehicle
for precise information on warranty
coverages.