What's new

Seatbelt warning Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong

Doc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi EX 2008
My Accord is the newest car I have owned and after purchasing it I was rather surprised (and annoyed) at the amount of warning beeps coming from the car before starting it.

Old procedure was:
Get in car.
Put keys in ignition and turn ignition on.
Bong- Bong- Bong- Bong- Bong and Seatbelt warning light on dashboard.
Put on seat belt.
Start car & drive off.

Now this Bong noise irritates me because I find it completely unnecessary. I’ve never needed to be reminded to put my seatbelt on before, honestly I feel uncomfortable driving without it on, and to keep being ‘told’ to do so by my nanny state EU dictating car every time I get in it becomes somewhat tiresome. However I learnt to tolerate it because I thought there was nothing I could do about it. Until that is I was reading a thread on another Honda website which told me otherwise. At this point the noise became even more irritating and had to go.

A little research later and this is what I found:
This device appears to only have one function, to annoy you into putting your seatbelt on.
Its purpose is to comply with Euro NCAP testing. Every seat which has a seatbelt warning fitted when the car goes through the Euro NCAP test gives the car 1 point towards its possible 5 star rating.
It is in no way connected to the drivers airbag, SRS, seatbelt pre-tensioner or any other device.
The system works on an open circuit. A circuit is created in the seatbelt buckle when the seatbelt is NOT being worn causing the warning tone and ***ociated dashboard warning light. Once buckled in an open circuit is created cancelling any future warning tones.

The open circuit is the key to this mod.

Under the drivers seat there is a row of 4 wire connectors.

016.jpg

The picture is viewed from the drivers foot well looking back under the seat.

The blue wire connector on the right hand side, which would be closest to the centre console, is the one you’re interested in. This is connected to the seatbelt buckle. This simply needs to be disconnected.

Now current procedure is:
Get in car.
Put keys in ignition and turn ignition on.
Put on seat belt.
Start car & drive off.

There is no seatbelt warning light on the dashboard or noise and it stays off when you begin to drive. There is also no airbag light on the dashboard.

I’ve been driving with this mod for the last week now and there is no difference apart from the lack of irritating noise.

Disclaimer: I am in no way condoning, suggesting, excusing, encouraging or implying that anyone should drive without their seatbelt on. To do so is against the law! If you are the type of person who forgets to put their seatbelt on then I recommend you do not do this. I have done this only because I do not need to be constantly reminded to put my seatbelt on so find it unnecessary.

Now to get rid of the Beep- Beep- Beep- Beep noise when the key is in the ignition and the door is open…..

Matt

Legend - this thing drives me potty when I have to move the car around at home... will be done first thing Saturday AM :D

Put the belt on before you turn the key "no bong" if the seat belt is not worn then another warning beep is actuated after the car is moving, if you find these warning noises irritating wear a balaclava, this time of year people will not find you eccentric!! LOL

So you no longer have a warning on the dash if your SRS system fails? No thanks.

Put the belt on before you turn the key "no bong" if the seat belt is not worn then another warning beep is actuated after the car is moving, if you find these warning noises irritating wear a balaclava, this time of year people will not find you eccentric!! LOL
As stated I put the key in the ignition to free up my hands to put the seatbelt on. Plus owning a diesel putting the keys in the ignition turns on the diesel pre heater giving it time for the coil light on the dashboard light to go out before I then start it. Admittedly in this weather the light is only on for less than a second but in the colder weather I expect it will take longer.

So you no longer have a warning on the dash if your SRS system fails? No thanks.
You misunderstand, disconnecting this 'seatbelt safety device' does not affect any other safety system on the car. It is a stand alone device and is separate to any other safety system on the car, which is why the airbag and SRS lights stay off. If either of the airbag or SRS system was to detect a fault they would still act normally and the corresponding light on the dashboard would illuminate as it would have done previously. This does not permanently turn off any dashboard warning lights except for the seatbelt warning light, and corresponding audible noise, because it is tricked into thinking the seatbelt is already being worn.

Nice one matt,that noise irritates the life out of me,especially when waiting for the glow plug to go out...life saver you are .... :)

Sitting in my car just remembered this thread, unplugged the wire and its gone and only the seat belt warning light is disconnected srs is all good.

Thankyou :D

You could use the old taxi driver trick of cutting a clip off a car at the scrappy and leaving that plugged in :)

did think of that but this just neater plus I don't need reminding to put my belt on got a wife for that lol.