What's new

Seriously Messed Up Pads

nick 9-5

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer LPG
So, the grinding noise that I thought was coming from the front wheel was actually from the back wheel and has been getting worse and worse so I did a brake inspection tonight and the pads and disc on the drivers side are knackered. I don't mind changing them myself, that's not the problem. What I want to know is what's causing it.

This was the inside pad that I took off

58b15725.jpg

The middle ridge is about 2mm high and the corresponding disk is only showing clean metal within that strip aswell.

Any ideas or should I just change the discs and pads?

I pumped the brakes and the piston moved quite easily and went back in quite easily aswell.

looks to me something was preventing it from seating properly, do you have the notch at the back that you line up with the piston. I hacksaw it off and then file it flat when doing the rears makes it alot easier.

seized caliper? common problem on the tourer isn't it guys?

It seemed to move ok when it was off the carrier.

siezed caliper definately search the topic there's lotsa info the tourer is particularly suseptable to this problem

It seemed to move ok when it was off the carrier.

I had one side seize then the other...big bill :( cost me discs, callipers and a set of pads...as others have said, a common problem....A word of warning, if your alloys are getting hot get the job done immediately other wise you may end up at the side of the road waiting for a lift home on a flatbed! I speak from experience!

Simon

I recently replaced a rear caliper on my saloon cdti, for almost the same issue the pad was not quite as bad but the result was in the same vain.

The first time it happened i too lost the disk and pad due to warpage, in both cases the handbrake became looser prior to the caliper seizing. finnally gave up cleaning it and replaced it

While your at it replace the hose as well, its this that causes the problem in the first place. They break up on the inside and fill up the back of the piston, with dehbri.