What's new

Serpentine Belt is too long (my 2.4 has electronic power steering with a smaller top pulley wheel)

JezUK

Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX+
My car, a 2006 mk 7 2.4 petrol and it needs a new serpentine belt, on CoxMotorParts the part that's needed is a code 38920RBBE03 (and costs £65 + delivery).

That cost being a bit steep I thought I'd Google an alternative using that part number and Google (and all the car sites) say it's a 7PK1751 that's needed.

So, I ordered a Bando (which apparently are who makes the Honda belt anyway).

It arrived today - I took the old part off (no ID numbers on it), tried to put this new one on and trouble is it's a lot longer......

Went indoors to measure both and the Bando is around 1755mm (outer). (I guess it's supposed to be 1751mm), whilst the old belt I took off measures a lot less - around 1690mm (outer).

Car looks standard, no modifications that I can see at all.

Any ideas?

(I called Cox and they ***ured me their part will fit, however, I'm also certain that my research shows that an 38920RBBE03 will give me a belt that's 1751mm long and so I don't believe it will - anyways, their belt will take over a week to get to me, so I have some time to decide).

Please, any ideas as I was really hoping this would be a 15 minute job, but it's turning out to be a 3 week one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Whilst you say the car is unmodified. has it had a different generator fitted ?

I found my diesel replacement came with a smaller pulley and so the serpentine is very close (exceedingly) to the return run up top.

I kept the old alternator in case I find marks on the outside but that is the least of my issues.

After more investigation, I'm suspecting the topmost pulley wheel..... it's a lot smaller than the ones I've seen on YouTube.

(not sure what that pulley wheel is for though as in the videos I've seen it's for the power steering pump, but my Accord has electronic power steering so there is no power steering reservoir/fluid....

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot showing a typical 7th gen Serpentine belt (not my car) - NOTE the LARGE PULLEY at the top for the Power Steering Pump as this car uses fluid for the PAS)

z0hlDU7.png

And here is a photo I took yesterday of my car without the Serpentine Belt on - NOTE the size of my Topmost Pulley - my Mk7 has electronic Power Steering and hence NO Power Steering Reservoir, so I'm not even sure what that topmost pulley of mine even does....)

JylZ1cY.jpeg

Last edited: