What's new

Service on my own, but what exactly I need to buy?

MrNotEnglish

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 i-vtec Ex Auto
Hello, I recently bought an Accord :) Still keep smiling when I get in :) 2004 2.4 i-vtec Executive Auto 47k miles. I'm going to replace oil, fluids and filters, but because of missing user manual and many different manufacturers I'm confused.
Could you help me find out what exactly I need to buy? Which viscosity and which make for engine oil? Which ATF (Honda I suppose)- where to get genuine one? Which power steering fluid? Which coolant? Which brake fluid? Spark plugs? Brake pads (mine seem to be ok but they squeek sometimes- I think due to poor quality)? Where I could find the cheapest prices for them? I'll be thankfull for any help. I hope you have more expirence and opinions about what is good and what to avoid. English is my foreign language and it's quite difficult to name things correctly when doing a research online.
Best regards
M

If you want to buy some or all of your service items from Honda, then TA has an arrangement with Holdcroft Honda where we get a good discount and (usually) free delivery.

Have a look in the 'affiliates' forum for HH contact info... and you need to get a discount code from a moderator, so contact 'Brett' or 'stevearcade' via the PM system to get the current code. Or maybe they'll see this thread and contact you - they are pretty helpful really. So I've heard people say...

as for oil good quality 5w30 from castrol is absolutely fine. I have used it for over 2 years since ownership and doesn't use a drop. You don't need to worry about oils too much tbh, unless you go to foreign climes, 5/30 is fine for this part of the word.

Hi and welcome, you can buy Accord workshop manuals on CD on ebay for good prices...they tell you what you need to know and how to do the work.

TBH the cost of Honda service parts for the K24 make non-genuine parts seem less worthwhile.

If I was you I'd do the following:

1. Honda ATF + crush washer (circa £30)
2. Honda Oil and Air filter (circa £30)
3. Honda Coolant 7 litres (circa £25)
4. Honda Pollen filter (circa £20)
5. Honda PSF 2 litres (circa £25)

Non genuine but OEM
1. NGK spark plugs Iridium Circa £60

Motor Factor Stuff
1. Brake fluid 1 litre circa £10
2. Oil 5w40 full synth (circa £40)

If you need to do the brakes, I used genuine pads on OEM discs.

Thanks Jayok for the list :) Should I do the full ATF change in a garage or will be enough to do partial change (3 times- as described in one of diy here)? I now it hasn't been changed yet.
As for an engine oil- some say 5W30, some 5W40, which one then?
Also- what about a fuel filter?

As of now, I'd do a standard change and see the quality of the fluid coming out. I wouldn't worry about a full flush. Make sure that you use the Honda ATF, it's pretty good stuff. The change is really straight-forward if you're handy with some spanners.

As for oil, there'll be a huge debate on this, personally, I use 10w40 semi-synth and I've 100K miles on the car, I'll probably switch to a full-synth next, and it'll be 5w40. The petrols care less about the oil grade than the diesel, so it's less of an issue. You won't go wrong with 5w40.

The fuel filter sits in the fuel tank, some have changed it, though I never really bothered, petrol doesn't carry as much gunk as the diesel, Honda recommend 75K miles if you're interested.

And, I always forget it, also change the ATF filter as well as the fluid (circa £25)

jayok said:
And, I always forget it, also change the ATF filter as well as the fluid (circa £25)
I was going to say that, I changed mine the other day, fairly easy to do, the hardest part was getting the clips off the hoses.

The fuel filter was done on my car before I bought it at 75k miles but I would only change it if you are getting problems from it, it's not a nice job from what I've read.

I am using 5w30 with no problems at all - http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=207 (Don't forget to ask Admin for the discount code)