What's new

Service time

TheDarkOne

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8 VTEC S
The time has come to get my baby serviced.

I would like some feedback if possible on my potential choices

From what i read on here oil wise is to ideally go for 5W30 or 10W40.
I have found on Halfords Mobil Super 2000/3000 X1 for about £20 for a 5l, which is not bad.
I guess either one would be good??

The other bits like oil filter, fuel filter and spark plugs i will get from Euro Car Parts
Fuel filters they have: Mikayo and Crossland, so i guess i'll go which ever they have in stock..or should i?? about £8

oil filter: they have BOSCH, but remember someone on here posting that they are not good, so the other one would be crossland?? £5-6 OR would it be best to get a Honda one, although not sure how much it is. Will ring them tomorrow if they decide to answer the phone again...lol

Spark plugs, from what i read the general consensus is to go for NGK. £17

So all in should cost about £50 + £40 for labour at a local garage = £90 not bad considering When I rang Hondas dealers, they were asking for £210 to do all of the above according to the "Honda" standard.

Although i will not have the time to get a AIR filter i was thinking of a K&N panel filter, which are about £30 on ebay, or should i go for something else?

Thanks

I've been running 10w40 semi-syn for 8yr without a problem, its recommended by Honda themselves in the handbook. Of course if you want to put in a more expensive oil its not going to be any worse.

I always buy the Honda OEM parts, actually just put a quote in to Holdcroft today for sparks, oil and air filter. I'm not saying don't buy from elsewhere, I just don't know a great deal about the quality.

The 6th is quite easy to service, if you have basic tools, torque wrench, jack and axle stands you could do it yourself. If you offset the labour cost and go and buy the tools you need it will pay for itself over the years (unless you get a tool habit like me lol)

All done!
Got the oil filter from Honda for £12, spark plugs and fuel filter from euro car parts for about £16 total, and oil for £22
Still a lot cheaper than the rip-off Honda dealers.
They quoted me £420 for a "big service" and £210 for the interim...crazy people It cost me all in all about £90, plus got my car washed ;)))

My plan is to start doing it myself, but have a lack of space i.e. no garage, so not in a position to do it. Do not really fancy doing it on the street.

Do not want to jinx it, but the car now feels a bit more responsive on the throttle..or maybe its just me.

My next plan is to get a the brake fluid changed and maybe transmission oil, and get a K&N panel filter. But we'll see.

I'd vouch big time for that mobil 2000 stuff for £20 from halfords... used it on my ek civic was sweet and good bang per buck - i've also always used 10w40 in both civic's and will be using it in my 2.0i SE 6th gen saloon when the time comes... the only thing i'm worrying about is if the stock fuel filter has never been changed and is by the fuel tank as from what I red on here (I believe it was on here) the bolts can round off like a swine and be a pain to remove/refit...

I'd vouch big time for that mobil 2000 stuff for £20 from halfords... used it on my ek civic was sweet and good bang per buck - i've also always used 10w40 in both civic's and will be using it in my 2.0i SE 6th gen saloon when the time comes... the only thing i'm worrying about is if the stock fuel filter has never been changed and is by the fuel tank as from what I red on here (I believe it was on here) the bolts can round off like a swine and be a pain to remove/refit...

The fuel filter is located under the rear left door, just in front of the rear left wheel, hidden under a small protective piece of metal. It's not that hard to replace, the only problem you could have is removing the bolts. I would suggest to apply some WD40 the day before, just to be sure you will have not any problem.
I had no problem replacing mine, but I am in Portugal, where the cars don't get rusty B)

+ 1 for WD 40

if you use a 6 sided socket not a 12 point socket then it shouldn't round off on you.

... the only thing i'm worrying about is if the stock fuel filter has never been changed and is by the fuel tank as from what I red on here (I believe it was on here) the bolts can round off like a swine and be a pain to remove/refit...

I done mine recently....howto