What's new

Serviced my car

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
Thanks to alot of encouraging posts here, I decided to service the car myself rather than taking it to a main dealer. Last time I got it serviced from HH. So last week I rang and spoke with Lee at HH and ordered all the parts including oil and to say that I got great service and even greater price would be an understatement. HH sells the same kit on ebay for £155 but Lee only charged me £110 (that's savings of almost 30%!!!). Parts arrived the very next day but I waited till the weekend. I had printed Fahad's servicing guide so I started off a bit nervously but was amazed at how easier everything was. Changing oil filter used to be my biggest nightmare on my previous car Mazda 323 diesel but not on this one. So I changed pollen, air and oil filter and the oil. I've left the fuel filter for now, might do it this weekend if I can get some help from my brother-in-law because I'm not feeling too confident about doing it myself.
Once I get paid, I'll be ordering 25l oil from Lubtech and the aim is to change the oil twice a year. My car isn't doing more than 6000 miles a year at the moment. One question for you guys. Do you always change the oil filter whenever you change the oil?

Good feedback and it's nice to service your own car.
Also great price from HH

Yes,Shaz

Nice one Shaz. I always get great satisfaction working on my cars myself. And yes, I'd change the oil filter every oil change.

Good work Shaz bro. Always a nice feeling when you service it yourself.

Thanks guys, yes there's no doubt, its a great satisfaction doing it yourself. Because I know exactly what I've done and what needs to be done. I read somewhere even some Honda dealers won't bother changing the fuel filter because its quite time consuming so what can we expect from the local garages?

Nice one. Just make sure you keep doing regular servicing. These are good good cars if you look after them. More oil changes, the better and with the lubetech deal, its much more cost effective.

I love threads like this. Even if one person has benefited from the advice dispensed on TA, then it's worthwhile.

Keep it up guys.

Fahad this site is my ultimate source for my car. I usually try to find my answers here first before even looking at the manual. The next project is to change the fuel filter and then I'm thinking of connecting an audio device that would allow me to connect my blackberry (using AUX in) and a USB flash drive. What would you guys recommend?

I think the preferred choice is XCarlink mate.

Thanks Fahad, that's the sort of message I got from the few other posts which I read here. My car has got Premium sound system with built-in 6 CD changer/Sat Nav etc.. so I want to make sure I get the one that's compatible with mine.

The same unit works with both, the only difference is where it plugs in. On your satnav unit, the socket is at the back of the headunit. On non satnav PSS it's under the headunit.

I've left the fuel filter for now, might do it this weekend if I can get some help from my brother-in-law because I'm not feeling too confident about doing it myself.

It's not as hard as you might think, servicing my Accord was my first ever service and with an extra pair of hands and some conversation to keep me sane I got it all done in about an hour and a half. I swore at the time I'd try and come up with some sort of tool to help loosen that filter, now I've pretty much forgotten what I had to do. :unsure:

Do you always change the oil filter whenever you change the oil?
Yes, absolutely. Putting in new oil is almost pointless if you run it through a dirty old filter :)

I swore at the time I'd try and come up with some sort of tool to help loosen that filter, now I've pretty much forgotten what I had to do. :unsure:

When I put the last filter on, I did it up too tight and couldn't get it off by hand.

Simple, large flat head screwdriver + hammer. It will put a hole through the filter casing and leak, but it gets the leverage you need to just start loosening it, then you can get it off by hand.

Yes, absolutely. Putting in new oil is almost pointless if you run it through a dirty old filter :)

Yes, that would be like crapping yourself, wiping your **** and then putting the same pants back on.