What's new

Servicing - what to do?

Captainbeaky

Members
Reaction score
Car
1998 accord 2.0 auto
Ok,

Sorting out a cheap car for my mate - he's going through a bad patch looking after his terminally ill partner, his old omega diesel auto is failing, and he's hopeless with cars, so im sorting him out a motor to keep him on the road.

Found a 67k miles, 2000 model accord executive 2.0 litre auto for £800

Has full service history, but i dont think the belts have been done, and its due an oil change.
test drive and inspection didn't show any faults, it drove very nicely.
Not the quickest of cars, but was smooth and quiet. ( i drive a 250 bhp monster of a turbocharged saab, so most other cars are a bit slow by comparison)
Auto box was good, went well when revved hard, engine was sweet - no camshaft rattles at all. VTEC worked nicely.
Body straight and rust free, if a bit dented ( will suit my mate down to the ground!)

Picking the car up next week, but want to get the parts that it will need for service.
Im a pretty experienced mechanic, but dont have any honda experience.

Will be carrying out the following servicing:
Engine oil and filter. (what grade to these cars need? - dont have the handbook yet)
Air filter
Trans oil (will be using Honda ATF)
Cambelt and balance belt, pulleys and maybe the waterpump.
Valve clearances
Coolant change.
New lambda sensor ( CEL is on, and obd code points to front lambda)

Will be checking brakes, handbrake cable, wheel bearings, and other standard inspection stuff.

Anyone think of Anything ive missed, and wheres a good place for the parts ( in particular the lambda sensor, i believe the accords are sensitive to these?)

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hi Mike

Plugs, fuel filter, cabin filter and maybe brake fluid.

You'll probably get away with just changing the belts. On ebay there is a seller who sells Gates versions for about £50 odd.

You need an NGK sensor if you want it to work, other aftermarket ones often don't.

If you send a message to skhell on here he will know where to get the sensor for a lot less than the Honda price.

10W40 or 5W40

Thanks for all that.
Good stuff, it uses the same oil as my saab, and i have a 20 litre drum of it.

I was thinking of plugs when i hit the "post" button what plugs does it need?

Fuel filter at 67k? Is that a bit short? ( its 120k on the saab)

Thanks for the other tips.

Mike.

welcome, you've pretty much labelled everything that would be for preventative measure! A car is a car at the end of the day.....for anything else just fix when issues come up.

As for the spark plug, it's NGK ZFR6F-11 you can find it at the NGK Part Finder site

Yeah, I agree. I dint go mad on changing parts unnecessarily, but I do believe in scheduled maintenance. And all these items are due. It's always worth asking on a forum though, as some cars have specific preventative maintenance that can save loads of time/ hassle/ work and money.